In this sketch performed at Saturday's dress rehearsal but which was ultimately cut from the show, "Saturday Night Live" spoofed the contentious confirmation hearings for President Obama's nominee for secretary of defense, Chuck Hagel (played here by Jason Sudeikis).
In the "SNL" parody, Republicans are portrayed as going over-the-top in giving Hagel a tough time for being, in their view, insufficiently pro-Israel. Senators such as John McCain and Lindsay Graham balk at Hagel's record of statements about the Middle East, and Sen. Tim Scott, an African-American Republican from South Carolina, gets emotional over how deeply his allegiance to the state goes, proclaiming that Israel has the nicest people, the tallest mountains and the best hip-hop.
- The Huffington Post
Similar News ItemsBarack Obama
- Vice President Joe Biden Joins Instagram, Shows Off Trendy Aviator Shades (From E! Online. 16 April 2014, 12:04 PM, PDT)
- Glenn Beck's New Job: Movie Producer (From Rolling Stone. 16 April 2014, 10:40 AM, PDT)
- Barack Obama & Hillary Clinton Sing "Timber" by Pitbull & Kesha (Kinda)—Watch Now! (From E! Online. 16 April 2014, 9:43 AM, PDT)
"Saturday Night Live" (1975)
- 'The View': A seating chart for a drama-free co-host reunion (From EW.com - PopWatch. 16 April 2014, 12:47 PM, PDT)
- SNL alum Maya Rudolph to host variety special on NBC (From The Guardian - TV News. 16 April 2014, 12:38 PM, PDT)
- TV Review: Billy Crystal’s ’700 Sundays’ (From Variety - TV News. 16 April 2014, 7:15 AM, PDT)
- Wme Signs Playwright/Scribe Jay Reiss (From Deadline New York. 16 April 2014, 8:43 AM, PDT)
- Poll: Who Is Hollywood's Cutest Couple? (From PEOPLE.com. 16 April 2014, 5:20 AM, PDT)
- 2014 MTV Movie Awards winners - complete list (From Hitfix. 13 April 2014, 6:05 PM, PDT)