Disney’s charming short film up for an Oscar this year, Paperman, is a nostalgic return to the tradition of 2-D, hand-drawn animation that also embraces what modern 3-D animation technology has to offer.
The short is a little urban fairy tale about a man who attempts to capture the attention of the woman of his dreams with paper airplanes he launches from his skyscraper office to hers. It was made with new in-house software called Meander that enables a hybrid approach to animation, where characters and backgrounds are drawn over an initial digital layer.
To see that innovative new animation method in action, »
- Emily Rome
Similar News ItemsWreck-It Ralph (2012)
- Frozen makes $1bn; wins Best Animation and Best Original Song (From Shadowlocked. 4 March 2014, 8:04 AM, PST)
- Fascinating Disney animated films that never were (From Den of Geek. 3 March 2014, 9:44 AM, PST)
- Oscars: What the Winners are Saying Backstage (From Variety - Film News. 2 March 2014, 6:25 PM, PST)
- 'Frozen' Crosses $1 Billion Worldwide (From MovieWeb. 3 March 2014, 10:35 AM, PST)
- The Second Animation Renaissance: The Good, The Best, and The Rest (From SoundOnSight. 28 February 2014, 6:36 AM, PST)
- Disney Animation's Andrew Millstein on a 'Frozen' Sequel and the Studio's Next Marvel Collaboration (Q&A) (From The Hollywood Reporter. 12 February 2014, 11:00 AM, PST)
Toy Story 2 (1999)
- Oscar Opinions: If 'Let It Go' Doesn't Win, We Riot! (From Flickeringmyth. 27 February 2014, 10:17 AM, PST)
- Here's Another Mind-Blowing Pixar Theory, This One From 'Toy Story 2' (From Moviefone. 24 February 2014, 1:00 PM, PST)
- The Lego Movie – review | Mark Kermode (From The Guardian - Film News. 15 February 2014, 6:00 PM, PST)