Despite receiving harsh reviews from critics, "Identity Thief" took an early lead at the box office on Friday. The comedy, starring Melissa McCarthy and Jason Bateman, opened Friday, making $11.2 million across 3,141 theaters. The movie stars McCarthy as an over-the-top con artist who has stolen Bateman's identity. THR reports that the Friday earnings for "Identity Thief" put the film on pace for a $34.8 million weekend.
Zombie rom-com "Warm Bodies" dropped to the number two spot, making $3.3 million on Friday across 3,009 theaters. The movie stars Nicholas Hoult as a zombie who falls in love with a human girl. "Warm Bodies" has made $28.4 million since its release.
Also opening this weekend is Steven Soderbergh's thriller, "Side Effects." Starring Channing Tatum, Jude Law, Rooney Mara, and Catherine Zeta-Jones, "Side Effects" made $2.8 million across 2,605 theaters on Friday. THR puts the film on pace for a $9 million weekend.
Rounding out the top five for Friday »
- The Huffington Post
Similar News ItemsJennifer Lawrence (III)
- Golden Globes nominations: McQueen, Elba and Ejiofor head breakthrough (From The Guardian - Film News. 12 December 2013, 4:06 PM, PST)
- Stars React to Their Golden Globe Nominations (From Popsugar. 12 December 2013, 3:55 PM, PST)
- Stars React to Their Golden Globe Nominations (From BuzzSugar. 12 December 2013, 3:55 PM, PST)
- Jupiter Ascending And Joe Wright's Pan Get New Release Dates (From Cinema Blend. 12 December 2013, 3:52 PM, PST)
- Entertainment Geekly: The Golden Globes' Comedy Snafu, and how to fix it (Hint: More awards) (From EW.com - PopWatch. 12 December 2013, 2:29 PM, PST)
- Jenna Dewan-Tatum Shares Adorable Picture With Daughter Everly (From E! Online. 12 December 2013, 1:31 PM, PST)
Bradley Cooper (I)
- The nominations for the 71st annual Golden Globe Awards are... (From Flickeringmyth. 12 December 2013, 5:43 PM, PST)
- 'Smaug' Poised to Open Lower Than First 'Hobbit' (From BoxOfficeMojo.com. 12 December 2013, 4:25 PM, PST)
- American Hustle Review (From Collider.com. 12 December 2013, 1:55 PM, PST)