Goldfinger. GoldenEye. The Man with the Golden Gun. The world's most famous Martini drinker (shaken not stirred, naturally) has long been synonymous with that most precious and coveted of metals, but given his illustrious half century on the cinema screen there's one area in which gold has eluded him time and again – the Oscars.
Prior to last year's Skyfall (2012) the fifty year old, 24 movie series had garnered just nine nominations, two of which bagged 007 a statue at the 1965 Academy Awards for different films. The Best Effects, Sound Effects award was given to Norman Wanstall for Goldfinger (1964) and John Stears walked off with the Best Effects, Special Visual Effects Oscar for Thunderball (1965).
Though U2 were second choice for the job after the Rolling Stones had turned down a request to come up with a song, Bono was particularly pleased to land the gig as he'd spent his honeymoon at Ian Fleming's house in Jamaica. »
Similar News ItemsMichael Caine (I)
- “Dunkirk” is a towering achievement from Christopher Nolan (From Hollywoodnews.com. 20 July 2017, 10:41 AM, PDT)
- Review: ‘Dunkirk’ Conjures Grand Imagery Undercut by Structural Ambition (From The Film Stage. 20 July 2017, 10:35 AM, PDT)
- Great Job, Internet!: Let us begin the wearying task of debating the best Christopher Nolan film (From The AV Club. 20 July 2017, 9:55 AM, PDT)
- Volcano is Fearless Finney Showcase: L.A. Screening with Bisset in Attendance (From Alt Film Guide. 21 July 2017, 4:01 PM, PDT)
- Exclusive new poster for Stratton starring Dominic Cooper (From Flickeringmyth. 18 July 2017, 6:20 AM, PDT)
- Women to Watch: Real Life Wonder Woman Annabel Wood (From Sydney's Buzz. 13 July 2017, 2:55 PM, PDT)
- Disney Rolls out 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray for 5th Pirates (From Comicmix. 17 July 2017, 2:22 PM, PDT)
- Dead Men Tell No Tales on Blu-Ray This October (From Cinelinx. 14 July 2017, 10:23 AM, PDT)
- Emmys 2017 Trivia: Julia Louis-Dreyfus Moves One Step Closer to History & 18 More Wild Things About This Year’s Noms (From Indiewire. 13 July 2017, 3:00 PM, PDT)