Las Vegas — A newly announced "Star Wars" sequel was on everyone's mind when J.J. Abrams took the stage Wednesday at a Las Vegas video game conference, but he made only a sideways mention of the film he has been hired to direct.
The reference was a throw-away joke from his last franchise reboot.
The director played a scene from his 2009 "Star Trek" film to illustrate the importance of embroidering films with subtle details, and freeze-framed on a shot of a familiar "Star Wars" robot peeking from space junk.
"So they're looking at all the debris that's out there, and curiously, it's R2D2," he said, drawing a roar of laughter.
Gabe Newell, president of video game developer Valve, shared a stage with Abrams at the Design, Innovate, Communicate, Entertain Summit at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino.
"So now I have to go back through your movies looking at all the »
Similar News ItemsStar Wars (1977)
- Warcraft Movie Adds Clancy Brown and Daniel Wu (From DailyDead. 18 December 2013, 7:00 PM, PST)
- Legendary's 'Warcraft' Adds Daniel Wu, Clancy Brown (From The Hollywood Reporter. 18 December 2013, 3:24 PM, PST)
- TV News: Who, Twitter, Rebels, Hands, Bond (From Dark Horizons. 18 December 2013, 2:19 PM, PST)
- 8 First Time Directors Who Got Hired For Major Films (From FilmSchoolRejects. 18 December 2013, 8:00 AM, PST)
- Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes New Trailer – Watch It Here (From Obsessed with Film. 18 December 2013, 7:12 AM, PST)
- Bradley Cooper Opens Up About Drugs, Alcohol And His Career (From Uinterview. 17 December 2013, 9:00 PM, PST)
Star Trek (2009)
- 'Gilligan's Island' getting a movie - 10 of the best and worst TV shows on the big screen (From Pop2it. 18 December 2013, 7:30 PM, PST)
- Watch The New “Real Heroes” Lone Survivor Featurette (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 18 December 2013, 5:17 PM, PST)
- Style Icon of the Season: Cousin Eddie in Christmas Vacation (From Clothes on Film. 18 December 2013, 1:56 PM, PST)