The first Chicago bar I drank in was the Old Town Ale House. That bar was destroyed by fire in the 1960s, and the Ale House moved directly across the street to its present location, where it has been named Chicago's Best Dive Bar--by the Chicago Triune, I think.
I returned to the North Avenue drinking scene on New Year's Eve 1966, opening night of the legendary O'Rourke's, two blocks directly west. Its last call was 2 a.m. The Ale House had a 4 a.m. license, so many of us walked down the street to continue.
The bar was owned by Name and her husband Art Klug, who really did look like Paul Newman. Art was a movie fan so obsessed it was slightly alarming. The Ale House ambiance made an ideal outpost for Bruce Elliott, the left wing unemployed-by-choice gadfly and neighborhood social spy. Art died. Then Name grew ill, »
- Roger Ebert
Similar News ItemsBarack Obama
- Hillary’s Health: Clinton Should Get Head Examined Says Obama Doctor (From TheImproper.com. 31 August 2016, 7:24 AM, PDT)
- Top Ten Tuesday – Top Ten White People Doing The Right Thing (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 30 August 2016, 3:11 PM, PDT)
- What Does Anthony Weiner's New Sex Scandal Mean for Hillary Clinton's Campaign? (From PEOPLE.com. 30 August 2016, 1:40 PM, PDT)
New Year's Eve (2011)
- Luann de Lesseps Dishes on Wedding Details - Yes, There Will Be a Prenup (From PEOPLE.com. 25 August 2016, 6:25 AM, PDT)
- Jeanne Martin Dies: Model & Second Wife Of Dean Martin Was 89 (From Deadline TV. 24 August 2016, 6:45 PM, PDT)
- Jeanne Martin Dies: Model & Second Wife Of Dean Martin Was 89 (From Deadline. 24 August 2016, 6:45 PM, PDT)
Paul Newman (I)
- Denzel Washington May Be Planning A Trip To The Inner City With Nightcrawler’s Dan Gilroy (From We Got This Covered. 26 August 2016, 12:43 PM, PDT)
- Hands Of Stone – Review (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 25 August 2016, 8:55 PM, PDT)
- Denzel Washington Eyed For Dan Gilroy's Inner City (From LatinoReview. 25 August 2016, 3:07 PM, PDT)