Disney has confirmed that it is working on stand-alone Star Wars movies.
CEO Bob Iger revealed that Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi writer Lawrence Kasdan as well as Sherlock Holmes scribe Simon Kinberg are involved in the spinoff films, set within the sci-fi universe but separate to Jj Abrams's Episode 7 and future instalments 8 and 9.
"We are in fact working on a few stand-alone films," Iger told CNBC. "Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on films derived from great Star Wars characters that are not part of the overall saga.
"So we plan to make Star Wars 7, 8 and 9 over roughly a six-year period of time starting in 2015. But there are going to be a few other films released in that period of time too."
The announcement follows speculation that Disney and Lucasfilm are preparing an individual picture based around Yoda. »
Similar News ItemsStar Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
- Did Mark Hamill Just Spoil ‘Star Wars: Episode VIII’? (From ET Canada. 31 August 2016, 2:58 PM, PDT)
- Star Wars Strikes Again… With Slew of Expensive New Toys (video!) (From TheImproper.com. 31 August 2016, 1:44 PM, PDT)
- A Whole Bunch of ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’ Toys Revealed, Short Film Contest Announced (From Slash Film. 31 August 2016, 11:30 AM, PDT)
- Comedy’s Comeback: Networks Push Boundaries With Bold New Half-Hours (From Variety - TV News. 30 August 2016, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- First Look: Miley Cyrus In Woody Allen’s Amazon Series ‘Crisis In Six Scenes’ (From The Playlist. 30 August 2016, 9:49 AM, PDT)
- Anthony Hopkins Saddles Up In Eerie New Trailer For HBO’s Westworld Series (From We Got This Covered. 30 August 2016, 7:33 AM, PDT)
- What Joe Manganiello May Look Like as Deathstroke in Ben Affleck's Batman (From MovieWeb. 31 August 2016, 1:15 PM, PDT)
- Great Job, Internet!: Weirdness abounds in this bizarro remixed trailer for Justice League (From The AV Club. 31 August 2016, 11:30 AM, PDT)
- Great Job, Internet!: Watch “Zack Snyder” adapt classic works of literature (From The AV Club. 31 August 2016, 10:45 AM, PDT)