The so-called "studio system" is long finished in Hollywood ... but not on Turner Classic Movies.
For the 2013 edition of the channel's annual "31 Days of Oscar" festival of films that either won or were nominated for Academy Awards, a different studio will be showcased each day or group of days. First up, starting Friday, Feb. 1: four-and-a-half days devoted to Warner Bros. and such Best Picture winners as "Casablanca" and "My Fair Lady," plus honored performances including Jack Lemmon's in "Mister Roberts" and Elizabeth Taylor's in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"
"I think it's fascinating to see how many important films a studio like Warner Bros. had," principal TCM host Robert Osborne tells Zap2it, "whereas a studio like Columbia, you might not think of that way. I still think of Columbia as one Rita Hayworth movie a year, or maybe one a year directed by Frank Capra in the '30s. »
Similar News ItemsClint Eastwood
- Digital Audience Ratings: ‘American Sniper’ Targets Top Spot, ‘The Interview’ Keeps Climbing (From Variety - Film News. 25 December 2014, 9:00 AM, PST)
- 'Gambler', 'Sniper', 'Vice', 'Eyes' - 2014 Christmas Week Movie Guide (From FirstShowing.net. 24 December 2014, 6:44 PM, PST)
- American Sniper—Movie Review (From Leonard Maltin's Movie Crazy. 24 December 2014, 5:07 PM, PST)
Elizabeth Taylor (I)
- Why You Shouldn’t Worry About Into the Woods (From Vulture. 24 December 2014, 10:00 AM, PST)
- Helena Bonham Carter and Tim Burton Split After 13 Years Together (From Entertainment Tonight. 23 December 2014, 12:03 PM, PST)
- On the Red Carpet, Emerging Designers Get Shot at Fame (From Variety - Film News. 19 December 2014, 10:00 AM, PST)
- ‘Art and Craft’ Could Join These Ten Art-Related Docs to Garner Oscar Noms (From Scott Feinberg. 19 December 2014, 9:09 AM, PST)
- Podcast: Reviewing 'The Hobbit' and 'The Gambler' & Sony Cancels Release of 'The Interview' (From Rope Of Silicon. 19 December 2014, 8:00 AM, PST)
- Why The Interview's withdrawal sets a worrying precedent (From Den of Geek. 18 December 2014, 11:47 AM, PST)