The so-called "studio system" is long finished in Hollywood ... but not on Turner Classic Movies.
For the 2013 edition of the channel's annual "31 Days of Oscar" festival of films that either won or were nominated for Academy Awards, a different studio will be showcased each day or group of days. First up, starting Friday, Feb. 1: four-and-a-half days devoted to Warner Bros. and such Best Picture winners as "Casablanca" and "My Fair Lady," plus honored performances including Jack Lemmon's in "Mister Roberts" and Elizabeth Taylor's in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"
"I think it's fascinating to see how many important films a studio like Warner Bros. had," principal TCM host Robert Osborne tells Zap2it, "whereas a studio like Columbia, you might not think of that way. I still think of Columbia as one Rita Hayworth movie a year, or maybe one a year directed by Frank Capra in the '30s. »
Similar News ItemsClint Eastwood
- Donald Trump’s Election Puts Super Bowl Advertisers on Tricky Playing Field (From Variety - TV News. 19 January 2017, 8:00 AM, PST)
- How the awards season has evolved (From Hollywoodnews.com. 19 January 2017, 6:59 AM, PST)
- Oscars 2017: What Are Mel Gibson’s Chances of a Best Director Nomination For ‘Hacksaw Ridge’? (From Scott Feinberg. 19 January 2017, 6:00 AM, PST)
Elizabeth Taylor (I)
- Elizabeth Taylor, Michael Jackson and Marlon Brando’s Rumored September 11 Road Trip: The Truth Behind the Myth (From PEOPLE.com. 19 January 2017, 1:06 PM, PST)
- I Remember Debbie (From Sydney's Buzz. 17 January 2017, 12:50 AM, PST)
- New Book Details Elizabeth Taylor’s Jealousy Over Rumors of Richard Burton’s Romance with Sophia Loren (From PEOPLE.com. 14 January 2017, 6:00 AM, PST)
- Framing Wes Anderson’s Memories (From FilmSchoolRejects. 17 January 2017, 9:43 AM, PST)
- The House is Not a Home: Comparing the Openings and Endings of Rebecca and Citizen Kane (From FilmSchoolRejects. 17 January 2017, 8:02 AM, PST)
- Editing on Orson Welles’ ‘The Other Side of the Wind’ Aiming for Spring Start (From The Film Stage. 16 January 2017, 5:19 AM, PST)