The so-called "studio system" is long finished in Hollywood ... but not on Turner Classic Movies.
For the 2013 edition of the channel's annual "31 Days of Oscar" festival of films that either won or were nominated for Academy Awards, a different studio will be showcased each day or group of days. First up, starting Friday, Feb. 1: four-and-a-half days devoted to Warner Bros. and such Best Picture winners as "Casablanca" and "My Fair Lady," plus honored performances including Jack Lemmon's in "Mister Roberts" and Elizabeth Taylor's in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"
"I think it's fascinating to see how many important films a studio like Warner Bros. had," principal TCM host Robert Osborne tells Zap2it, "whereas a studio like Columbia, you might not think of that way. I still think of Columbia as one Rita Hayworth movie a year, or maybe one a year directed by Frank Capra in the '30s. »
Similar News ItemsClint Eastwood
- 9 incredible fan films that put Hollywood to shame: What would happen if Batman battled a Predator? (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 28 August 2015, 4:30 AM, PDT)
- Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Veteran Jeff Baker Exits (From Variety - Film News. 24 August 2015, 5:42 PM, PDT)
- Where are the cast of Bring It On now? Here's what happened to Kirsten Dunst, Eliza Dushku and the squad (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 24 August 2015, 4:01 PM, PDT)
Elizabeth Taylor (I)
- A Unique Superstar: 20th Century Icon Garbo on TCM (From Alt Film Guide. 26 August 2015, 5:00 PM, PDT)
- First official images from American Horror Story: Hotel (From Flickeringmyth. 26 August 2015, 1:29 PM, PDT)
- Robert Pattinson Becomes The Paparazzi In This 'Life' Trailer - MTV (From Twilight Examiner. 13 August 2015, 8:07 PM, PDT)
- Daily | Ingrid Bergman @ 100 (t) (From Fandor: Keyframe (t). 29 August 2015, 12:17 AM, PDT)
- Daily | Ingrid Bergman @ 100 (From Keyframe. 29 August 2015, 12:17 AM, PDT)
- Listen: 1.5 Hour Conversation With Peter Bogdanovich On Marc Maron's Wtf Podcast (From The Playlist. 28 August 2015, 1:03 PM, PDT)