The so-called "studio system" is long finished in Hollywood ... but not on Turner Classic Movies.
For the 2013 edition of the channel's annual "31 Days of Oscar" festival of films that either won or were nominated for Academy Awards, a different studio will be showcased each day or group of days. First up, starting Friday, Feb. 1: four-and-a-half days devoted to Warner Bros. and such Best Picture winners as "Casablanca" and "My Fair Lady," plus honored performances including Jack Lemmon's in "Mister Roberts" and Elizabeth Taylor's in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"
"I think it's fascinating to see how many important films a studio like Warner Bros. had," principal TCM host Robert Osborne tells Zap2it, "whereas a studio like Columbia, you might not think of that way. I still think of Columbia as one Rita Hayworth movie a year, or maybe one a year directed by Frank Capra in the '30s. »
Similar News ItemsClint Eastwood
- In Defense of Spring Breakers, American Sniper, and a dash of Inherent Vice (From Cinelinx. 30 March 2015, 10:49 AM, PDT)
- Suicide Squad Adds Scott Eastwood And Raymond Olubowale To Cast (From We Got This Covered. 30 March 2015, 10:16 AM, PDT)
- Two More Join "Suicide Squad" Cast (From Dark Horizons. 30 March 2015, 6:44 AM, PDT)
Elizabeth Taylor (I)
- GLAAD Media Awards 2015 Winners: Kerry Washington, ‘How to Get Away with Murder’ Honored (Complete List) (From The Wrap. 22 March 2015, 12:52 AM, PDT)
- There's a Little Women Remake in the Works: Which Young Stars Should Play the March Sisters?! (From E! Online. 19 March 2015, 2:07 PM, PDT)
- 'Little Women' Remake in the Works! (From Entertainment Tonight. 19 March 2015, 3:33 AM, PDT)
- Top 15 Classic Noir Films (From Thompson on Hollywood. 30 March 2015, 9:22 AM, PDT)
- Robert Duvall Talks Wild Horses, Lonesome Dove, The Searchers, and More (From Collider.com. 27 March 2015, 10:51 AM, PDT)
- Matthew McConaughey Attached to Star in 'The Billionaire's Vinegar' (From Rope Of Silicon. 27 March 2015, 9:47 AM, PDT)