The so-called "studio system" is long finished in Hollywood ... but not on Turner Classic Movies.
For the 2013 edition of the channel's annual "31 Days of Oscar" festival of films that either won or were nominated for Academy Awards, a different studio will be showcased each day or group of days. First up, starting Friday, Feb. 1: four-and-a-half days devoted to Warner Bros. and such Best Picture winners as "Casablanca" and "My Fair Lady," plus honored performances including Jack Lemmon's in "Mister Roberts" and Elizabeth Taylor's in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"
"I think it's fascinating to see how many important films a studio like Warner Bros. had," principal TCM host Robert Osborne tells Zap2it, "whereas a studio like Columbia, you might not think of that way. I still think of Columbia as one Rita Hayworth movie a year, or maybe one a year directed by Frank Capra in the '30s. »
Similar News ItemsClint Eastwood
- Film Review: ‘Paradiso’ (From Variety - Film News. 31 July 2014, 5:55 PM, PDT)
- Watch: 3-Minute Supercut Retrospective Commemorating Best Picture Oscar Winners Of 1990s (From The Playlist. 31 July 2014, 8:22 AM, PDT)
- 'Blood Meridian' deserves a director who understands the Western genre (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 30 July 2014, 4:10 PM, PDT)
Elizabeth Taylor (I)
- Entertainment Geekly: Or maybe 'Twilight' was the best thing to happen to Comic-Con (From EW.com - PopWatch. 31 July 2014, 5:19 PM, PDT)
- James Garner tribute marathon to air on TCM (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 24 July 2014, 4:47 PM, PDT)
- Best Shot - Final 5 Episodes of 2014 (From FilmExperience. 23 July 2014, 12:00 PM, PDT)
- 'Sight & Sound' announces list of greatest documentaries (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 1 August 2014, 10:26 AM, PDT)
- 'Man With A Movie Camera' Tops Sight & Sound's List Of Best Documentaries Of All Time (From The Playlist. 1 August 2014, 8:24 AM, PDT)
- Jodorowsky’S Dune Blu-ray Review (From Collider.com. 31 July 2014, 9:34 PM, PDT)