The so-called "studio system" is long finished in Hollywood ... but not on Turner Classic Movies.
For the 2013 edition of the channel's annual "31 Days of Oscar" festival of films that either won or were nominated for Academy Awards, a different studio will be showcased each day or group of days. First up, starting Friday, Feb. 1: four-and-a-half days devoted to Warner Bros. and such Best Picture winners as "Casablanca" and "My Fair Lady," plus honored performances including Jack Lemmon's in "Mister Roberts" and Elizabeth Taylor's in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"
"I think it's fascinating to see how many important films a studio like Warner Bros. had," principal TCM host Robert Osborne tells Zap2it, "whereas a studio like Columbia, you might not think of that way. I still think of Columbia as one Rita Hayworth movie a year, or maybe one a year directed by Frank Capra in the '30s. »
Similar News ItemsClint Eastwood
- Where Eagles Dare (From Trailers from Hell. 27 July 2017, 9:45 PM, PDT)
- Oscars: Venice, Telluride, Toronto Lineups Provide Awards Season Snapshot (From Variety - Film News. 27 July 2017, 9:25 AM, PDT)
- Weekend Box Office: ‘Dunkirk’ Takes the Lead with $50.5 Million (From Collider.com. 23 July 2017, 9:01 AM, PDT)
Elizabeth Taylor (I)
- Tyler, The Creator Had No Idea Elizabeth Taylor Was an Actress (From E! Online. 25 July 2017, 8:41 AM, PDT)
- Martin Landau, Oscar Winner for ‘Ed Wood,’ Dies at 89 (From Variety - Film News. 16 July 2017, 5:25 PM, PDT)
- Martin Landau, Oscar Winner for ‘Ed Wood’ Dies, at 89 (From Variety - TV News. 16 July 2017, 5:25 PM, PDT)
- Interview, Audio: Cindy Caponera, TV Writer for ‘I’m Dying Up Here’ (From HollywoodChicago.com. 23 July 2017, 5:56 AM, PDT)
- "The Sinbad Trilogy"- 6 Disc Blu-ray/DVD Limited Edition Set From Indicator (From CinemaRetro. 15 July 2017, 1:58 PM, PDT)
- The Angry Red Planet (From Trailers from Hell. 15 July 2017, 11:16 AM, PDT)