Break out that can of spinach… With Hotel Transylvania under his belt, veteran animation director Genndy Tartakovsky is busy at work developing a new, 3D, big-screen take on the classic Popeye cartoon, and he tells ETonline that he plans to make the character more "contemporary" while keeping the action "really cartoony" with plenty of "physical comedy."
Pics: 13 Must-See Movies of 2013
"Basically it's kind of taking the Popeye that I grew up with, that I think we all grew up with, and definitely making him contemporary -- but still retaining everything that we loved about him from the past," says the 43-year-old director of such animated hits as Star Wars: Clone Wars, Samurai Jack, The Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Laboratory, adding, "It's fully CG-animated."
The pipe-clenching, eye-squinting, spinach-loving sailor man first appeared in the Thimble Theater comic strip in 1929 and quickly gained popularity with his own series of cartoon shorts and spinoffs. Director [link=nm »
Similar News ItemsRobin Williams (I)
- Jon Hamm Considering Richard Linklater’s The Incredible Mr Limpet (From We Got This Covered. 9 July 2014, 3:11 AM, PDT)
- Jumanji (From Sky Movies. 9 July 2014, 2:48 AM, PDT)
- Kid’s Corner: Top 10 Steven Spielberg-Directed Child-Centric Films (From SoundOnSight. 8 July 2014, 3:06 PM, PDT)
Hotel Transylvania (2012)
- 'Robot Chicken' Team to Direct Stop-Motion Adventure 'Superbago' (From MovieWeb. 9 July 2014, 1:18 PM, PDT)
- Filmax Invites You into their Sweet Home (From Dread Central. 9 July 2014, 11:59 AM, PDT)
- Enjoy Your Stay: The Top 10 Movies About Hotels/Motels (From SoundOnSight. 2 July 2014, 3:51 PM, PDT)
Robert Altman (I)
- McCabe and Mrs Miller (From Sky Movies. 9 July 2014, 3:48 AM, PDT)
- New Photos & International DVD Art For David Cronenberg’s ‘Map To The Stars’ (From The Playlist. 3 July 2014, 10:35 AM, PDT)
- ‘Transformers’: A Splendidly Patriotic Film, If You Happen To Be Chinese (Opinion) (From Variety - Film News. 3 July 2014, 9:00 AM, PDT)