Break out that can of spinach… With Hotel Transylvania under his belt, veteran animation director Genndy Tartakovsky is busy at work developing a new, 3D, big-screen take on the classic Popeye cartoon, and he tells ETonline that he plans to make the character more "contemporary" while keeping the action "really cartoony" with plenty of "physical comedy."
Pics: 13 Must-See Movies of 2013
"Basically it's kind of taking the Popeye that I grew up with, that I think we all grew up with, and definitely making him contemporary -- but still retaining everything that we loved about him from the past," says the 43-year-old director of such animated hits as Star Wars: Clone Wars, Samurai Jack, The Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Laboratory, adding, "It's fully CG-animated."
The pipe-clenching, eye-squinting, spinach-loving sailor man first appeared in the Thimble Theater comic strip in 1929 and quickly gained popularity with his own series of cartoon shorts and spinoffs. Director [link=nm »
Similar News ItemsRobin Williams (I)
- Review: Bobcat Goldthwait's documentary 'Call Me Lucky' is painfully beautiful (From Hitfix. 29 January 2015, 3:45 PM, PST)
- Fusion Picks Up 10 Episodes of The Chris Gethard Show (From Vulture. 29 January 2015, 10:33 AM, PST)
- Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb Blu-ray available to pre-order (From Flickeringmyth. 29 January 2015, 2:34 AM, PST)
Hotel Transylvania (2012)
- Sony Pictures Animation Hires Kristine Belson as President (From Variety - Film News. 27 January 2015, 11:38 AM, PST)
- Sony Animation Production President Steps Down (From Variety - Film News. 23 January 2015, 4:24 PM, PST)
- Sony Pictures Animation President of Production Steps Down (From The Wrap. 23 January 2015, 4:15 PM, PST)
Robert Altman (I)
- New UK trailer and poster for Wild Card starring Jason Statham (From Flickeringmyth. 30 January 2015, 4:27 AM, PST)
- Memories of Alice, part 2 by Anne-Katrin Titze (From eyeforfilm.co.uk. 30 January 2015, 3:06 AM, PST)
- Don't call it a comeback: Michael Keaton on biding time, waiting for a 'Birdman' (From Hitfix. 29 January 2015, 11:12 AM, PST)