Some years, Academy Awards voters just want to feel right about themselves, their industry, their country. And maybe honour one of their own who hasn't always shared in the love of his peers.
That could explain why Ben Affleck's Argo has gone from best-picture longshot to Oscar favourite over such competitors as Steven Spielberg's stately but talky Civil War portrait Lincoln or Kathryn Bigelow's brilliant yet contentious CIA thriller Zero Dark Thirty.
Argo is a feel-good thrill ride that's patriotic enough to warrant a good "USA! USA!" chant as the credits roll. It's all about how Hollywood helped save some lives. And a best-picture win could be viewed as righting a wrong after Affleck inexplicably missed out on a best-director nomination. »
- Cineplex.com and contributors
Similar News ItemsSteven Spielberg
- How a last-minute Steven Spielberg note made 'Gremlins' into a blockbuster (From Hitfix. 1 July 2016, 12:32 PM, PDT)
- ‘The Purge: Election Year’ Review Roundup: Critics Mixed On B-Thriller That’s Not For Everybody (From Indiewire. 1 July 2016, 12:25 PM, PDT)
- Steven Spielberg Talks Walt Disney’s Influence on The Bfg and Strong Female Protagonists (From CineMovie. 1 July 2016, 10:47 AM, PDT)
- Scott Eastwood being eyed for key role in Pacific Rim 2 (From Flickeringmyth. 1 July 2016, 12:55 PM, PDT)
- Kate Beckinsale's Underworld: Blood Wars pushed back to early 2017 (From JoBlo. 1 July 2016, 8:58 AM, PDT)
- Pacific Rim Sequel Gets A Release Date; Suicide Squad & Fast 8's Scott Eastwood Eyed For A Key Role (From ComicBookMovie. 30 June 2016, 5:55 PM, PDT)
Zero Dark Thirty (2012)
- Mike Mills’ ’20th Century Women’ Lands Oscar-Friendly Slot via A24 (From Indiewire. 29 June 2016, 10:49 AM, PDT)
- Mike Mills’ ’20th Century Women’ Lands Oscar-Friendly Slot via A24 (From Thompson on Hollywood. 29 June 2016, 10:49 AM, PDT)
- Will 'Rogue One' Feature the Standard 'Star Wars' Text Crawl Opening? (From LatinoReview. 23 June 2016, 7:53 PM, PDT)