Some years, Academy Awards voters just want to feel right about themselves, their industry, their country. And maybe honour one of their own who hasn't always shared in the love of his peers.
That could explain why Ben Affleck's Argo has gone from best-picture longshot to Oscar favourite over such competitors as Steven Spielberg's stately but talky Civil War portrait Lincoln or Kathryn Bigelow's brilliant yet contentious CIA thriller Zero Dark Thirty.
Argo is a feel-good thrill ride that's patriotic enough to warrant a good "USA! USA!" chant as the credits roll. It's all about how Hollywood helped save some lives. And a best-picture win could be viewed as righting a wrong after Affleck inexplicably missed out on a best-director nomination. »
- Cineplex.com and contributors
Similar News ItemsSteven Spielberg
- Frightfest 2016: ‘The Master Cleanse’ review (From The Hollywood News. 27 August 2016, 4:30 AM, PDT)
- 'A Dog's Purpose' Trailer: Amblin's Next Movie Is About a Dog's Immortal, Body-Hopping Soul (From Movies.com. 26 August 2016, 8:00 PM, PDT)
- Live-Action James And The Giant Peach Movie Eyeing Sam Mendes (From We Got This Covered. 26 August 2016, 8:58 AM, PDT)
- John Krasinski Admits It's 'Super Intimidating' to Step into Alec Baldwin and Harrison Ford's Shoes as New Jack Ryan (From PEOPLE.com. 26 August 2016, 12:55 PM, PDT)
- Jennifer Garner, Woman After Our Own Hearts, Grabs Fro-Yo After Her Workout (From Popsugar. 26 August 2016, 7:11 AM, PDT)
- David Ayer thanks fans as Suicide Squad hits $600 million worldwide (From Flickeringmyth. 26 August 2016, 2:50 AM, PDT)
Zero Dark Thirty (2012)
- The Purge: Election Year movie review: soylent green is Donald Trump! (From FlickFilosopher. 26 August 2016, 4:04 AM, PDT)
- Mulholland Drive Tops BBC's 100 Best Movies of the 21st Century List (From MovieWeb. 23 August 2016, 12:21 PM, PDT)
- The 100 Greatest Films of the 21st Century: BBC Polls Critics From Around The Globe (From Indiewire. 23 August 2016, 8:44 AM, PDT)