One of the biggest mysteries in recent Hollywood history was solved on January 25, when J.J. Abrams was revealed as the director of "Star Wars: Episode VII." But how did the deal come to pass?
An article published by The Hollywood Reporter goes into specific details of the deal that brought Abrams over to the dark side of the Force, better known across the world as the "Star Wars" franchise. Though Abrams is a lifelong "Star Wars" fan, the filmmaker reportedly had "very genuine concerns" about helming the seventh theatrical "Star Wars" movie, including his commitments to other projects — like the sci-fi franchise's rival, "Star Trek Into Darkness," for instance.
But during a December meeting with Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy at his Bad Robot office, Abrams was reportedly won over by the veteran producer's very simple, straightforward plea: "Please do 'Star Wars.'"
"I learned firsthand how incredible and persuasive she is, »
- MTV Staff
Similar News ItemsStar Wars (1977)
- Video of the Day: Yoda Kicks Off Star Wars Tournament with Espn Interview (From SoundOnSight. 13 March 2014, 5:13 PM, PDT)
- Josh Brolin: 'I tried heroin. Most of the guys I grew up with are all dead now' (From The Guardian - Film News. 13 March 2014, 5:05 PM, PDT)
- Watch: How to Make the Delicious Pastry from 'Grand Budapest Hotel' (From FirstShowing.net. 13 March 2014, 4:11 PM, PDT)
- Kyle MacLachlan pulls out solid Brando and Walken impressions for our Personality Test -- Video (From EW.com - PopWatch. 13 March 2014, 5:24 PM, PDT)
- Zach Gilford Believes Friday Night Lights Pal Jesse Plemons Deserves Star Wars Role (From TheFabLife - Movies. 13 March 2014, 2:21 PM, PDT)
- Jesse Plemons and John Boyega reportedly at the top of J.J. Abrams' list for 'Star Wars' lead (From Hitfix. 13 March 2014, 11:45 AM, PDT)
Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)
- Robert Rodriguez Launches Content Creation Contest with $250K Grand Prize Plus Mentorship (From Thompson on Hollywood. 13 March 2014, 11:56 AM, PDT)
- ‘Harold and Kumar’s’ John Cho Joins ABC Pilot ‘Selfie’ (From Variety - TV News. 13 March 2014, 10:45 AM, PDT)
- John Cho Cast In ABC’s ‘Selfie’; Justin Baldoni In CW’s ‘Jane The Virgin’ (From Deadline TV. 13 March 2014, 10:45 AM, PDT)