It seems almost quaint compared to today's practices, where actresses have designers offering gowns, jewelers lending baubles and stylists pulling looks together.
Once, however, it was simpler. Major stars, those who hoisted statuettes by night's end, arrived at galas in homemade dresses and wore their own jewelry. Joanne Woodward was stunning in a gown she sewed for the Oscars. To this day, anyone would clamor for Elizabeth Taylor's diamonds.
As styles became grander, so have the jewels, and viewers tune into shows such as the 19th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards, airing Sunday, Jan. 27, on TBS and TNT, to see the displays.
Henri Barguirdjian, president and CEO of Graff USA, a luxury jewelry company, explains why some jewelers lend pieces.
"So many people are watching the shows, whether the SAG [Awards] or the Oscars," he tells Zap2it. "And they are jammed with celebrities. The fashion houses and the jewelry »
Similar News ItemsNatalie Portman
- CinemaCon Buzzmeter: What’s Hot and Cold in Las Vegas (From Variety - Film News. 29 March 2017, 10:01 AM, PDT)
- Cara Delevingne Is Going to Shave Her Head for Her Next Film Role (From PEOPLE.com. 29 March 2017, 8:25 AM, PDT)
- Paramount First Looks: Garland’s ‘Annihilation,’ Payne’s ‘Downsizing,’ and Bay’s ‘Transformers’ (From Indiewire. 29 March 2017, 8:25 AM, PDT)
- Trailer Watch: Explorer Gertrude Bell Takes Center Stage in “Letters from Baghdad” (From Women and Hollywood. 29 March 2017, 8:02 AM, PDT)
- The 8 Biggest Differences Between the Big Little Lies Novel and TV Show (From BuzzSugar. 28 March 2017, 3:20 PM, PDT)
- Patrick Wilson is teasing his Aquaman villain Ocean Master (From Flickeringmyth. 28 March 2017, 1:40 PM, PDT)
- Review: ‘Youth In Oregon’ is an Inconsistent But Rewarding Drama (From The Film Stage. 2 February 2017, 6:33 AM, PST)
- Exclusive: Christina Applegate on Playing 'Badass' Moms and 'Married... with Children's 30th Anniversary (From Entertainment Tonight. 1 February 2017, 10:35 AM, PST)
- Et Obsessions: Christina Applegate’s Rage, ‘Arrival’ and the Schuyler Sisters Reunited (From Entertainment Tonight. 30 January 2017, 7:20 AM, PST)