It seems almost quaint compared to today's practices, where actresses have designers offering gowns, jewelers lending baubles and stylists pulling looks together.
Once, however, it was simpler. Major stars, those who hoisted statuettes by night's end, arrived at galas in homemade dresses and wore their own jewelry. Joanne Woodward was stunning in a gown she sewed for the Oscars. To this day, anyone would clamor for Elizabeth Taylor's diamonds.
As styles became grander, so have the jewels, and viewers tune into shows such as the 19th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards, airing Sunday, Jan. 27, on TBS and TNT, to see the displays.
Henri Barguirdjian, president and CEO of Graff USA, a luxury jewelry company, explains why some jewelers lend pieces.
"So many people are watching the shows, whether the SAG [Awards] or the Oscars," he tells Zap2it. "And they are jammed with celebrities. The fashion houses and the jewelry »
Similar News ItemsNatalie Portman
- Fall 2016’s Most Anticipated Films (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 24 October 2016, 2:06 PM, PDT)
- ‘Miss Sloane’ to World Premiere at AFI Fest (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 24 October 2016, 12:31 PM, PDT)
- Relief for Lead Actress Rivals as Viola Davis Goes Supporting for ‘Fences’ (From Variety - Film News. 24 October 2016, 5:30 AM, PDT)
- Ifb backs O'Rowe debut, Lanthimos, 'The Young Offenders' follow-up (From ScreenDaily. 24 October 2016, 3:24 AM, PDT)
- Westworld Recap: The Truth Is in There (From TVLine.com. 23 October 2016, 6:59 PM, PDT)
- Blu-ray Review: Dead End Drive-in, Punks, Classic Cars and Explosions From Brian Trenchard-Smith (From Screen Anarchy. 23 October 2016, 11:30 AM, PDT)
- Win a Free Digital HD Code for Bad Moms (From Comicmix. 18 October 2016, 12:00 PM, PDT)
- All of the movie news you missed over the Thanksgiving long weekend (From Cineplex. 11 October 2016, 8:16 AM, PDT)
- Bad Moms Spin-Off Bad Dads Is Coming in 2017 (From MovieWeb. 11 October 2016, 8:05 AM, PDT)