It seems almost quaint compared to today's practices, where actresses have designers offering gowns, jewelers lending baubles and stylists pulling looks together.
Once, however, it was simpler. Major stars, those who hoisted statuettes by night's end, arrived at galas in homemade dresses and wore their own jewelry. Joanne Woodward was stunning in a gown she sewed for the Oscars. To this day, anyone would clamor for Elizabeth Taylor's diamonds.
As styles became grander, so have the jewels, and viewers tune into shows such as the 19th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards, airing Sunday, Jan. 27, on TBS and TNT, to see the displays.
Henri Barguirdjian, president and CEO of Graff USA, a luxury jewelry company, explains why some jewelers lend pieces.
"So many people are watching the shows, whether the SAG [Awards] or the Oscars," he tells Zap2it. "And they are jammed with celebrities. The fashion houses and the jewelry »
Similar News ItemsNatalie Portman
- New Thor: Ragnarok IMAX Poster Is a Jaw-Dropping Stunner (From MovieWeb. 20 September 2017, 5:42 PM, PDT)
- BidSlate Teams With Premiere Digital on Delivery Platform (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 19 September 2017, 6:20 AM, PDT)
- Everything We Know About the Girl in the Spider's Web (From BuzzSugar. 15 September 2017, 1:50 PM, PDT)
- You Might Not Know David E. Kelley's Name, but You've Definitely Watched His TV Shows (From BuzzSugar. 21 September 2017, 9:55 AM, PDT)
- Here's How Many Emmys Big Little Lies Has (From BuzzSugar. 21 September 2017, 8:35 AM, PDT)
- Icymi, Big Little Lies' Alexander Skarsgard and Pennywise Are Brothers (From Popsugar. 21 September 2017, 7:15 AM, PDT)
- "Crash Pad" Restricted Footage (From SneakPeek. 7 September 2017, 12:09 PM, PDT)
- Rita Wilson And Tom Hanks Return To Host Simply Shakespeare (From Look to the Stars. 5 September 2017, 6:30 AM, PDT)
- Maddie Ziegler Opens Up About Losing Her Grandmother to Cancer: 'She Makes Me a Stronger Dancer' (From PEOPLE.com. 31 August 2017, 6:00 AM, PDT)