Both American films won audience awards and grand jury prizes Saturday at the Sundance Awards.
"Fruitvale" is based on the true story of Oscar Grant, who was 22 years old when he was shot and killed in a public transit station in Oakland, Calif. First-time filmmaker Ryan Coogler wrote and directed the dramatic narrative.
"This project was about humanity, about human beings and how we treat each other; how we treat the people that we love the most, and how we treat the people that we don't know," the 26-year-old said as he accepted the final prize of the night. "To get this award means that it had a profound impact on the audience that saw it, on the people that were responsible for picking it up. And this goes back to my home, »
Similar News ItemsJoseph Gordon-Levitt
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt May Play Nsa Whistle-Blower Edward Snowden (From Movies.com. 23 September 2014, 12:30 AM, PDT)
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt Could Play Edward Snowden for Oliver Stone (From Slash Film. 22 September 2014, 3:10 PM, PDT)
- Emma Watson isn't afraid of the 'F' word (From EW.com - PopWatch. 22 September 2014, 1:35 PM, PDT)
Fruitvale Station (2013)
- Shame on you, Hollywood: Will this be one of the whitest Oscars ever? (From Gold Derby. 21 September 2014, 12:18 PM, PDT)
- Exclusive: Zoë Kravitz, Keith Stanfield, Kimberly Elise, A$AP Rocky Board Rick Famuyiwa's 'Dope' (From ShadowAndAct. 16 September 2014, 8:40 AM, PDT)
- Enver Gjokaj and Chad Michael Murray Join Hayley Atwell in Marvel’s Agent Carter (From HeyUGuys. 29 August 2014, 1:05 PM, PDT)
- Meagan Good Addresses Leaked Nude Photos (From Uinterview. 21 September 2014, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- Liam Payne: Naked Photos Leaked Are Fake, Not Nude With Other Man On Bed (From GossipCop. 21 September 2014, 12:05 PM, PDT)
- Gabrielle Union, Kim Kardashian, Vanessa Hudgens Victims Of Nude Photo Hack (From Uinterview. 20 September 2014, 9:00 PM, PDT)