Los Angeles — Forget dishonest modesty. Dick Van Dyke seems nothing short of gobsmacked about receiving the life-achievement honor at Sunday's Screen Actors Guild Awards.
"They must've gotten to the `V's," he joked.
Though probably best known for "The Dick Van Dyke Show" (1961-66) and Walt Disney's big-screen musical "Mary Poppins" (1964), the 87-year-old Van Dyke said that, with the SAG Award, "I kind of find a home. I've always been a bit of an orphan, because actors say, `Well, he's more of a dancer.' And dancers say, `No. He's really a singer.' And singers say, `No. He's an actor.' So, now I've got a home. I can actually refer to these people as my peers."
His career has spanned eight decades, starting with work as a disc jockey and a standup comic in the late `40s. He even worked as a national television morning-show host, with no less »
Similar News ItemsMary Poppins (1964)
- Tom Hanks Talks About Disneyland's "Mile High Club" to Conan O'Brien (From Us Weekly. 18 December 2013, 9:22 AM, PST)
- Recommended Reading: Edgar Wright’s Top 10, Chiwetel Ejiofor, HBO and more (From SoundOnSight. 18 December 2013, 9:07 AM, PST)
- 'Pulp Fiction,' 'Mary Poppins' & More Added to National Film Registry (From FirstShowing.net. 18 December 2013, 9:06 AM, PST)
Julie Andrews (I)
- Strictly Come Dancing final song list, dance styles revealed (From Digital Spy - TV news. 18 December 2013, 11:52 AM, PST)
- Review: Disney's "Mary Poppins 50th Anniversary Edition" On Blu-ray (From CinemaRetro. 18 December 2013, 3:15 AM, PST)
- ‘Pulp Fiction,’ ‘Roger & Me,’ ‘Mary Poppins’ Join National Film Registry (From Variety - Film News. 17 December 2013, 11:45 PM, PST)
- Synthesisers are killing film and TV music, say British composers (From The Guardian - TV News. 16 December 2013, 1:48 AM, PST)
- Synthesisers are killing film and TV music, say British composers (From The Guardian - Film News. 16 December 2013, 1:48 AM, PST)
- Top 5 Paragraphs about the Alamo 100 Films (From Flickeringmyth. 15 December 2013, 9:36 AM, PST)