Director Steven Soderbergh spoke at length about Hollywood's early dismissal of his latest project, "Behind the Candelabra."
Earlier this month, Soderbergh revealed that his much-anticipated Liberace biopic, which stars Michael Douglas as the flamboyant piano legend and Matt Damon as his longtime lover Scott Thorson, had been deemed "too gay" by multiple movie studios despite an all-star cast.
Though he calls the less-than-enthusiastic response to his new movie "a surprise," he admits, "We weren't shy about the relationship." Joking that producer Jerry Weintraub has deemed the film "'La Cage aux Folles' on steroids," Soderbergh added, "It's pretty gay, but it's also pretty entertaining." »
- Curtis M. Wong
Similar News ItemsMatt Damon
- Cannes 2013: 'Blue Is the Warmest Color' is a seriously sexy French lesbian coming-of-age love story. Plus, Marion Cotillard and Joaquin Phoenix in 'The Immigrant' (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 25 May 2013, 9:40 AM, PDT)
- Celebrity Week In Review: Is Katie Holmes Finally Moving On? (From Huffington Post. 25 May 2013, 7:23 AM, PDT)
- See All the Stars at the Cannes Film Festival - So Far! (From Popsugar. 24 May 2013, 8:33 PM, PDT)
- One to watch: HBO's 'Behind the Candelabra,' Scott Thorson's story (From Monsters and Critics. 25 May 2013, 11:38 AM, PDT)
- Michael Douglas Is 'Simply Great' in Behind the Candelabra, Says People's TV Critic (From PEOPLE.com. 25 May 2013, 10:30 AM, PDT)
- When Steven Met Steven: Soderbergh on Jaws, Liberace, Future of Movies (From AwardsDaily. 25 May 2013, 8:07 AM, PDT)
Magic Mike (2012)
- Mad Max's Weekend Movie Guide: 'Furious 6' & More (From NextMovie. 24 May 2013, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- ‘Mud’ Review (From Blogomatic3000. 24 May 2013, 3:01 AM, PDT)
- Cannes 2013. Dialogues: Steven Soderbergh's "Behind the Candelabra" (From MUBI. 23 May 2013, 3:44 PM, PDT)