Saying his name evokes images of silver-tongued actors in elaborate costumes, stage sword fights, long-winded speeches, lofty language and august academics.
But in reality, the resolutely middle-class, grammar-school-educated William Shakespeare (1564-1616) was a hardworking dramatist. poet and sometime actor who juggled writing what turned out to be immortal sonnets, dramas, histories and comedies with performing, running an acting company, managing a theater, and sending money back home to support the wife and kids.
There's a persistent belief among some enthusiasts that the Bard of Avon, as he came to be called (having been born and raised in Stratford-on-Avon in Warwickshire, England), didn't actually write his plays, which were instead the work of one or another university-educated nobleman of the same period.
Richard Denton, producer of the documentary series "Shakespeare Uncovered," airing Fridays, Jan. 25 through Feb. 8, on PBS (check local listings), takes a dim view of this assertion, especially considering the »
Similar News ItemsLeonardo DiCaprio
- Costume in The Great Gatsby: Use Your Imagination (From Clothes on Film. 22 May 2013, 10:46 PM, PDT)
- 3 Reasons Why The Great Gatsby Remains Unfilmable (Despite Its Box Office Success) (From Obsessed with Film. 22 May 2013, 10:21 PM, PDT)
- Dennis Lehane Will Write Travis McGee For Leonardo DiCaprio (From We Got This Covered. 22 May 2013, 4:50 PM, PDT)
- New on DVD: Soderbergh's Supposed Showbiz Swan Song 'Side Effects,' 'Beautiful Creatures', More (From Fandango. 22 May 2013, 5:26 PM, PDT)
- Josh Hutcherson in 'Ape': 'Hunger Games' Star Lines Up Role in Psychological Thriller (From Moviefone. 22 May 2013, 8:49 AM, PDT)
- Giveaway: Win Side Effects on Blu-ray (From MovieWeb. 22 May 2013, 8:38 AM, PDT)
- Special Feature: How to save money at the cinema (From CineVue. 23 May 2013, 12:00 AM, PDT)
- Helen Mirren Steps up Where the real Queen Falters (From AwardsDaily. 22 May 2013, 10:12 PM, PDT)
- Helen Mirren grants dying boy's wish - Appears as Queen Elizabeth (From Pop2it. 22 May 2013, 6:02 PM, PDT)