Saying his name evokes images of silver-tongued actors in elaborate costumes, stage sword fights, long-winded speeches, lofty language and august academics.
But in reality, the resolutely middle-class, grammar-school-educated William Shakespeare (1564-1616) was a hardworking dramatist. poet and sometime actor who juggled writing what turned out to be immortal sonnets, dramas, histories and comedies with performing, running an acting company, managing a theater, and sending money back home to support the wife and kids.
There's a persistent belief among some enthusiasts that the Bard of Avon, as he came to be called (having been born and raised in Stratford-on-Avon in Warwickshire, England), didn't actually write his plays, which were instead the work of one or another university-educated nobleman of the same period.
Richard Denton, producer of the documentary series "Shakespeare Uncovered," airing Fridays, Jan. 25 through Feb. 8, on PBS (check local listings), takes a dim view of this assertion, especially considering the »
Similar News ItemsLeonardo DiCaprio
- Robin Thicke Celebrates 37th Birthday Clubbing with Leonardo DiCaprio (From PEOPLE.com. 12 March 2014, 4:00 AM, PDT)
- The Definitive Kubrickian Films: 30-21 (From SoundOnSight. 11 March 2014, 9:51 PM, PDT)
- Grading Mojo's Holiday Forecast (From BoxOfficeMojo.com. 11 March 2014, 2:21 PM, PDT)
- Lynne Ramsay settles Jane Got a Gun lawsuit (From The Guardian - Film News. 12 March 2014, 3:06 AM, PDT)
- Building Wes Anderson’s ‘The Grand Budapest Hotel’ (From The Hollywood News. 11 March 2014, 10:57 PM, PDT)
- Jane Got a Gun producers reach agreement with director Lynne Ramsay (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 11 March 2014, 8:41 AM, PDT)
- Oprah Winfrey’s Harpo Films Pins Down Rights to ‘The Invention of Wings’ (From Variety - Film News. 11 March 2014, 12:17 PM, PDT)
- Harpo gets Kidd's Wings (From ScreenDaily. 11 March 2014, 12:01 PM, PDT)
- Great Canal Journeys; Edl Girls: Don't Call Me Racist – TV review (From The Guardian - TV News. 11 March 2014, 12:00 AM, PDT)