New York — In Netflix's bid for a flagship original drama of its own – a "Sopranos" to its HBO – the subscription streaming service is presenting a high-class adaptation of a British political thriller offered up all at once, with its first season immediately ready for TV-viewing gluttony.
The show, "House of Cards," is a bold attempt to remake the television landscape with the kind of prestige project cable channels like HBO, AMC and Showtime have used to define themselves. But "House of Cards," produced by David Fincher and starring Kevin Spacey, won't be on the dial of that refuge of quality dramas – cable television – but streamed online to laptops and beamed directly to flat-screens through set-top boxes and Internet-enabled devices.
"It's sort of like we're the new television series that isn't on television," says Spacey.
Similar News Items"Breaking Bad" (2008)
- Book Review: 'Showrunners: The Art Of Running Of A TV Show' Takes A Look At A Misunderstood Job (From The Playlist. 19 September 2014, 3:00 PM, PDT)
- Robert Forster on Sci-fi, Lucky Breaks, and Better Call Saul (From Vulture. 19 September 2014, 11:00 AM, PDT)
- Did Doctor Who Outdo Himself? Is Dave Annable the Best Medicine? What Are Laura's Real Mysteries? And More Qs (From TVLine.com. 19 September 2014, 10:57 AM, PDT)
The Social Network (2010)
- Preview the 'Gone Girl' Soundtrack Courtesy of Trent Reznor (From The Hollywood Reporter. 20 September 2014, 1:45 PM, PDT)
- Listen to a Track from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross’ Gone Girl Score; Plus 9 New Images (From Collider.com. 20 September 2014, 8:58 AM, PDT)
- David Fincher talks Gone Girl, film career (From ScreenDaily. 20 September 2014, 7:18 AM, PDT)
- Listen: Trent Reznor Previews ‘Gone Girl’ Soundtrack On Nine Inch Nails Website (From The Playlist. 20 September 2014, 4:50 PM, PDT)
- Emma Thompson On Her Writing Process: A Yoga Mat, A Hoover, & Lots Of Crying (From Deadline New York. 20 September 2014, 4:26 PM, PDT)
- Trent Reznor Previews Ominous 'Gone Girl' Soundtrack (From Rolling Stone. 20 September 2014, 3:23 PM, PDT)