24 January 2013 2:36 PM, PST | Huffington Post | See recent Huffington Post news »

The Force is strong with this one.

J.J. Abrams has reportedly been selected to direct the upcoming seventh installment of George Lucas' legendary "Star Wars" series.

It's shocking news because Abrams -- who successfully re-launched the "Star Trek" franchise for Paramount in 2009, and has been hard at work on a sequel, "Star Trek into Darkness," set for release on May 17 -- had previously told Entertainment Weekly that he would not journey to a galaxy far, far away to continue the saga Lucas began back in 1977. In an interview with Empire Magazine last year, Abrams said he was approached to direct "Episode VII," but nothing came from the discussions.

"[T]here were the very early conversations and I quickly said that because of my loyalty to 'Star Trek,' and also just being a fan, I wouldn't even want to be involved in the next version of those things," Abrams »


- Michael Hogan

Report a problem



Similar News Items

Star Wars (1977)
The Avengers (2012)
J.J. Abrams


IMDb.com, Inc. takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our users only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual. Please visit the source responsible for the item in question to report any concerns you may have regarding content or accuracy.

See our NewsDesk partners