In a society tilting steadily toward gender neutrality, the separate-but-equal awards that divide actors into one camp and actresses into another have the whiff of a moldy anachronism. True, the Association for Women in Science gives honors to encourage female success in male-dominated fields. But to mark enduring achievements, would its members ever yearn for a Women's Nobel Prize in physics?
In contests of intellect or artistry, should gender ever matter? "It's not like it's upper body strength," Gloria Steinem dryly observed of the requirements of acting.
The separate labeling of male and female performers is losing favor in the industry. Actresses often swat the distinction away by calling themselves "actors," standing shoulder to shoulder with their male counterparts. Usherettes are long gone from movie theater lobbies, »
- Cineplex.com and contributors
Similar News ItemsAnne Hathaway
- Kim Kardashian and Kendall Jenner Are Making Cameos in Ocean’s Eight (From PEOPLE.com. 17 January 2017, 4:56 AM, PST)
- Kim Kardashian and Kendall Jenner Film 'Ocean's Eight' Cameos in NYC -- See the Pic! (From Entertainment Tonight. 16 January 2017, 10:10 PM, PST)
- Katie Holmes and Suri Cruise Can't Stop Smiling at L.A. Lakers Game (From Entertainment Tonight. 16 January 2017, 10:15 AM, PST)
- No thanks for your time: the worst movie auditions from A-list stars (From The Guardian - Film News. 17 January 2017, 7:39 AM, PST)
- Van Jones Slams Donald Trump as a ‘Pathological Liar With a Twitter Addiction’ (From Variety - TV News. 17 January 2017, 7:00 AM, PST)
- Lena Dunham Releases '100 Years' Video Honoring Planned Parenthood (From The Hollywood Reporter - TV News. 17 January 2017, 6:12 AM, PST)
- ‘Awards Chatter’ Podcast — Ryan Reynolds (‘Deadpool’) (From Scott Feinberg. 17 January 2017, 5:00 AM, PST)
- Breaking bad: Hollywood wakes up to the power of dark, dangerous women (From The Guardian - Film News. 16 January 2017, 11:00 PM, PST)
- Is This $5 Product the Answer to Frizzy Hair? (From E! Online. 16 January 2017, 4:00 AM, PST)