Feature Ivan Radford Jan 24, 2013
In the wake of Les Misérables' success, Ivan takes a look at how the musical has reinvented itself in the modern era...
Do you hear the people sing? The refrain, bellowed by fans of Les Misérables whenever a French flag is in sight, was given a new meaning when Tom Hooper’s magnificent adaptation of the musical arrived in cinemas earlier this month. Because for the first time in years, we really could hear them - live, on camera.
It's an inspired decision by director Tom Hooper, who ignored the usual route of actors recording a track beforehand and miming for the cameras and instead gave them all an earpiece connected to a piano and told them to let their vocal chords rip.
The result? A cast full of people acting rather than lip-syncing - a raw edge often missing from studio song-fests. It's a »
Similar News ItemsAnne Hathaway
- Anne Hathaway Rocks Denim Overalls and Braces in Her Latest Instagram Snap (From Popsugar. 13 February 2016, 8:35 PM, PST)
- Buns in the Oven: 25 Stars Who Are Expecting Babies This Year (From Popsugar. 12 February 2016, 6:45 PM, PST)
- Anne Hathaway Looks (Almost!) Exactly the Same in Adorable Throwback Childhood Photo (From PEOPLE.com. 12 February 2016, 6:00 PM, PST)
- International Exec You Should Know: Stephane Celerier (From Variety - Film News. 12 February 2016, 10:00 AM, PST)
- Recommended New Books on Filmmaking: ‘The Force Awakens,’ Spike Lee, ‘Alien,’ Pixar, and More (From The Film Stage. 11 February 2016, 11:28 AM, PST)
- Caprice | 2016 My French Film Festival Review (From ioncinema. 11 February 2016, 10:00 AM, PST)
- Sidney Poitier Accepts BAFTA Award Via Video Due to Health Concerns (From PEOPLE.com. 14 February 2016, 1:15 PM, PST)
- MadRiver, Riverstone Seal Production, Financing Alliance (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 13 February 2016, 1:01 PM, PST)
- Margot Robbie Takes on Noir Thriller 'Terminal' (From MovieWeb. 13 February 2016, 8:30 AM, PST)