Following an opening featuring a black screen and the sounds of 9/11 calls ,which lasts for a deeply uncomfortable period of time despite actually being relatively short, Zero Dark Thirty moves into more scenes which are well-played to upset and discomfort an audience. We are introduced to the lead, Maya (Jessica Chastain), who is the somewhat unenthusiastic bystander, and later accomplice, in the torture of man believed to have information relating to global terrorism.
Maya appears in these scenes as something of a blank slate, aside from a few awkward looks she is at first also very passive, and despite the film’s reasonably lengthy running time she always remains somewhat inscrutable, with the camera often lingering on her blank and seemingly dispassionate stare. She has one purpose it seems. To find Osama bin Laden.
Recalling the singularly focused female protagonists of seventies revenge pictures – Meiko Kaji’s ‘born for revenge »
- Craig Skinner
Similar News ItemsBarack Obama
- Malia Obama Spent Her Presidents Day Weekend Skiing With Some Glamorous Friends -- See the Pic! (From Entertainment Tonight. 21 February 2017, 10:35 PM, PST)
- TV News Roundup: Georgia King to Star in Diablo Cody Comedy Pilot, Fox to Host Town Hall (From Variety - TV News. 21 February 2017, 4:39 PM, PST)
- Ari and Rahm Emanuel’s Doctor Brother Ezekiel Joins Fox News (From The Wrap. 21 February 2017, 9:48 AM, PST)
- ‘Awards Chatter’ Podcast — Kevin O’Connell (‘Hacksaw Ridge’) (From Scott Feinberg. 21 February 2017, 11:00 AM, PST)
- Number of Female Film Protagonists Hit High in 2016 (Study) (From Variety - Film News. 21 February 2017, 7:00 AM, PST)
- ‘Awards Chatter’ Podcast — Damien Chazelle (‘La La Land’) (From Scott Feinberg. 20 February 2017, 4:00 PM, PST)
Zero Dark Thirty (2012)
- Cinema’s Greatest Manhunt Movies (From The Hollywood News. 22 February 2017, 4:53 AM, PST)
- Matt Damon vs. Ben Affleck: Film Critics Are Forced to Pick a Favorite — IndieWire Critics Survey (From Indiewire. 21 February 2017, 10:15 AM, PST)
- Recommended Discs & Deals: ‘Manchester by the Sea,’ ‘Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown,’ and More (From The Film Stage. 21 February 2017, 7:44 AM, PST)