The varied and brilliant career of the director of Bugsy Malone and Fame is to be celebrated by a Bafta fellowship
From the custard pie guns of Bugsy Malone to the legwarmers of Fame; from the prison brutality of Midnight Express to the unalloyed musical joy of The Commitments – the career of Alan Parker in all its variety and brilliance is to be celebrated by a Bafta fellowship next month.
Parker, 68, follows in the footsteps of Martin Scorsese, Stanley Kubrick and Elizabeth Taylor in receiving the honour. It is the British Academy of Film and Television Arts' equivalent to a lifetime achievement award, but the director is not worried about the signals that accepting such an award might send.
"I'm honoured by the award – flattered, really," he said on Tuesday. "A lot of people deserve it more than I do. I know film-makers who have refused these sort of things, »
- Andrew Pulver
Similar News ItemsMartin Scorsese
- Red Granite boards Paul Schrader’s ‘Dying of the Light’ (From Variety - Film News. 6 March 2014, 8:08 PM, PST)
- Wes Anderson: 12 Fun Facts About His Movies (From Variety - Film News. 6 March 2014, 3:47 PM, PST)
- Captain Phillips Writer Billy Ray Will Scribe Leonardo DiCaprio And Jonah Hill’s Olympics Drama The Ballad Of Richard Jewell (From We Got This Covered. 6 March 2014, 1:12 PM, PST)
Anthony Hopkins (I)
- Darren Aronofsky Builds An Ark In New Noah Movie Featurette; “Fountains of the Deep: Visions of Noah and the Flood” Exhibit Opens March 7 (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 6 March 2014, 7:48 PM, PST)
- ‘Noah’ Not Floating Into The Middle East? (From The Hollywood News. 6 March 2014, 1:30 PM, PST)
- ‘Noah’ Featurette: Building An Ark (From LatinoReview. 6 March 2014, 11:47 AM, PST)
- Film Face-off: 'Taken' vs. 'Non-Stop' (From Movies.com. 3 March 2014, 6:00 PM, PST)
- 12th Annual Tsr Movie Awards – Final Results – 2013 Films (From Scorecard Review. 2 March 2014, 11:40 AM, PST)
- Cate Blanchett is 40th performer to win multiple Oscars (From Gold Derby. 1 March 2014, 6:09 PM, PST)