"House of Cards" represents a huge gamble for Netflix.
All 13 episodes of the first season of "House of Cards" will arrive on Netflix on Friday, Feb. 1, and a second season has already been commissioned. Big gambles like that don't come cheap: "House of Cards," an adaptation of a classic British miniseries, reportedly cost $100 million.
It looks it: I've seen the first two hours of the drama, which stars Kevin Spacey as a ruthless Washington, DC operative named Francis Underwood, and its production values resemble those of a pricey feature film. "House of Cards," which stars Robin Wright as Underwood's equally ambitious wife, has the muted, somber colors, ambiguous morality and chilly characters you find in the films of David Fincher, who is an executive producer and directed the first two episodes of the Netflix series.
Will Spacey's Francis Underwood be too dark a character for Netflix subscribers? That's the question that hangs over the series, »
- Maureen Ryan
Similar News ItemsDavid Fincher
- 10 Tiresome Directors Who’ve Done Nothing New In The Last Ten Years (From Obsessed with Film. 30 August 2014, 11:19 AM, PDT)
- Game of Links (From FilmExperience. 30 August 2014, 6:30 AM, PDT)
- Gone Girl (2014) Movie Trailer 2: A New Look at David Fincher’s Film (From Film-Book. 29 August 2014, 6:25 PM, PDT)
- Wamg’s Guide To 100+ Films For Fall / Holiday 2014 (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 29 August 2014, 1:49 PM, PDT)
- 19 new images from David Fincher’s Gone Girl (From Cineplex. 29 August 2014, 10:23 AM, PDT)
- Stephen Lee, Character Actor in ‘Burlesque,’ ‘The Negotiator,’ Dies at 58 (From Variety - Film News. 27 August 2014, 2:39 PM, PDT)
Robin Wright (V)
- Review: Robin Wright at "The Congress" (From FilmExperience. 30 August 2014, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- Review: The Congress (From Slackerwood. 29 August 2014, 9:30 AM, PDT)
- The Congress Review (From Collider.com. 28 August 2014, 9:02 PM, PDT)