From MTV News
Though she's a hit on the indie scene and awards circuit, Jessica Chastain had never proven herself as a bankable leading woman until this past weekend. While "Zero Dark Thirty" continued to perform strongly, it was the success of "Mama," Chastain's new horror movie, and utter failure of Arnold Schwarzenegger's big return, "The Last Stand" that has people so shocked.
From executive producer Guillermo del Toro, "Mama" took in an impressive $33 million at the box office over the three-day weekend (via Box Office Mojo), and "Zero Dark Thirty" held in its second week of wide release with $18.7 million.
"The Last Stand" clocked in at a dismal tenth place, behind "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," earning $7.2 million. Schwarzenegger's next chance to test his return to acting will come this September with "The Tomb," which co-stars Sylvester Stallone.
Head over to MTV News for your full box office report. »
- Kevin P. Sullivan
Similar News ItemsArnold Schwarzenegger
- 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' Trailer Goes Hunting for Human Flesh (From MovieWeb. 27 November 2015, 7:38 AM, PST)
- Total Recall (1990): rare behind the scenes pictures (From Den of Geek. 26 November 2015, 10:36 PM, PST)
- ‘Inside Out’ Top-Selling Disc for Third Straight Week (From Variety - Film News. 26 November 2015, 7:46 AM, PST)
Guillermo del Toro
- Jason Gives Thanks (From FilmExperience. 24 November 2015, 2:19 PM, PST)
- Your Guide to 'Justice League Dark' and How It Fits into the Larger DC Universe (From Fandango. 23 November 2015, 7:10 AM, PST)
- ‘The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies – Extended Edition’ Review (From Blogomatic3000. 23 November 2015, 6:32 AM, PST)
- Box Office: ‘Hunger Games’ Cinches Holiday Victory Over ‘Creed,’ ‘Good Dinosaur’ (From Variety - Film News. 28 November 2015, 7:47 AM, PST)
- Sylvester Stallone in 'Creed': Another Oscar knockout for 'Rocky' star? (From Gold Derby. 27 November 2015, 1:20 PM, PST)
- New Creed Movie Received Mostly Positive Reviews From Major Critics (From OnTheFlix. 27 November 2015, 11:33 AM, PST)