Feature Simon Brew Jan 22, 2013
As Disney pulls its planned cinema re-release of The Little Mermaid, Simon asks whether we’re getting good value from big screen reissues.
I read last week with disappointment that Disney had apparently cancelled the planned big screen re-release of The Little Mermaid, which had been tentatively inked in for later in the year. This was apparently in response to the less than expected gross for the re-release of Monsters Inc 3D in the Us at the end of last year (it arrived in the UK last Friday).
Monsters Inc 3D has taken $30m at the Us box office, the weakest re-release take for Disney’s recent run of animated re-releases. Over the past few years, in the Us alone The Lion King has scored $94m, Beauty And The Beast $47m, and Finding Nemo $41m. Work had started on a 3D conversion of The Little Mermaid for a planned 3D release, »
Similar News ItemsJurassic Park (1993)
- Today in Movie Culture: Original Ending to Kevin Smith's 'Red State,' Simulating Zero-g for 'Interstellar' and More (From Movies.com. 27 March 2015, 8:00 PM, PDT)
- New Jurassic World Movie Pic Features Incredible Scenery Action (From OnTheFlix. 27 March 2015, 12:49 PM, PDT)
- It's The Dawn Of A New Age In Latest Jurassic World Still (From ComicBookMovie. 27 March 2015, 11:00 AM, PDT)
Independence Day (1996)
- Sony picks up Robotech movie rights, looking to fast track into production (From Flickeringmyth. 27 March 2015, 6:40 AM, PDT)
- 9 Reasons Why the 'X-Files' Revival Matters (From Moviefone. 27 March 2015, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- Adam McKay Rumored for Marvel's 'Inhumans', Sony Plans More Smurfs and 'Ted 3' Already Plannedc (From Rope Of Silicon. 26 March 2015, 2:05 PM, PDT)
Beauty and the Beast (1991)
- Now Casting Disney’s ‘Beauty and the Beast’ and Other Upcoming Auditions (From Backstage. 25 March 2015, 7:39 AM, PDT)
- Does This 'Little Mermaid' Plot Hole Ruin the Movie for You? (From Entertainment Tonight. 23 March 2015, 4:33 PM, PDT)
- Ariana Grande's Celine Dion Impression Is Hilariously Pitch-Perfect (From Popsugar. 23 March 2015, 1:45 AM, PDT)