If HBO’s Entourage has taught us anything, it’s how freaking important Sundance is. It is where independent films become acclaimed hits. At this year’s festival Fruitvale is set to become that big break out hit, and it is currently in one of the hottest bidding wars of the festival so far.
Fruitvale is about the last days of 22-year-old Oscar Grant, before he was killed in a case that brought on protests against police brutality in Oakland. The film is Ryan Coogler’s feature debut and stars The Wire’s Michael B Jordan as Oscar Grant.
It is thought that the independent drama will sell for around $2,000,000 minimum with guaranteed theatrical release. The Weinstein Company, Fox Searchligh,Paramount Pictures and Focus Features are currently in the mix to buy the film, with the decision being finalised tonight.
- Lucy Cave
Similar News ItemsParamount Pictures [us]
- New Baywatch clips wash up in the surf (From The Hollywood News. 25 May 2017, 7:10 AM, PDT)
- Top Gun 2 circling Oblivion director (From Den of Geek. 24 May 2017, 10:15 PM, PDT)
- Tron helmer may be the man to direct the Top Gun sequel (From The Hollywood News. 24 May 2017, 10:10 PM, PDT)
Focus Features [us]
- GLAAD Report: Major Film Studios Fail to Increase Lgbt Representation (From Variety - Film News. 25 May 2017, 6:00 AM, PDT)
- Salon hires Annabel Wigoder to oversee development and production (From ScreenDaily. 25 May 2017, 5:07 AM, PDT)
- Lenny Abrahamson’s ghost story The Little Stranger picked up by Focus Features (From Flickeringmyth. 24 May 2017, 9:50 PM, PDT)
- Wamg Giveaway – Win The Shack on Blu-ray (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 24 May 2017, 3:03 PM, PDT)
- 'John Wick: Chapter 2' Comes Home; Plus This Week's New Digital HD and VOD Releases (From Movies.com. 24 May 2017)
- From Oprah Winfrey to Will Ferrell: Celeb Commencement Speeches That Might Make You Cry (From PEOPLE.com. 23 May 2017, 6:00 AM, PDT)