The Weinstein Company has acquired writer-director Ryan Coogler's debut feature Fruitvale, beating out studios such as Fox Searchlight, Paramount Pictures, Focus Features and CBS Films in a heated bidding war.
The drama is based on the true story of Oscar Grant (Michael B. Jordan), a 22-year-old man who was shot dead in Oakland by transit police, in a case that caused protests over police brutality in the Bay Area. Chad Michael Murray, Kevin Durand, Octavia Spencer, Ahna O'Reilly, and Melonie Diaz also star.
Fruitvale was picked up for just over $2 million by The Weinstein Company, in a deal that guarantees a commitment for a major theatrical release. Forest Whitaker produced the drama alongside Nina Yang, with actress Octavia Spencer also serving as a co-executive producer.
The film has garnered the same kind of momentum that previous Sundance favorites Precious and last year's Beasts of the Southern Wild rode all »
Similar News ItemsParamount Pictures [us]
- Meet the Characters of Jason Reitman’s Dark Ensemble in 17 New Men, Women & Children Images (From Collider.com. 19 September 2014, 1:10 PM, PDT)
- Matthew McConaughey Splashes Down in Another New Interstellar Poster (From Collider.com. 19 September 2014, 10:17 AM, PDT)
- Alexa Platt Returns To Open Road Films After Stint At AwesomenessTV (From Deadline New York. 18 September 2014, 12:01 PM, PDT)
Focus Features [us]
- Box Office Sunday: ‘Maze Runner’ Finds $32.5M; Liam’s ‘Walk’ Limps In; ‘Where I Leave You’ No. 3 (From Deadline New York. 21 September 2014, 7:53 AM, PDT)
- Variety Screening Series Kicks Off With ‘The Boxtrolls’ (From Variety - Film News. 19 September 2014, 2:42 PM, PDT)
- Where Are the Missing Pictures? (From Thompson on Hollywood. 19 September 2014, 2:27 PM, PDT)
- 'Red Band Society' Ads Calling Octavia Spencer "Scary Bitch" Pulled After Outcry (From The Hollywood Reporter. 19 September 2014, 10:41 AM, PDT)
- Jon Stewart sings 'I Will Remember You' in 'tribute' to Michael Che’s 3-months at 'Daily Show' (From Hitfix. 19 September 2014, 6:31 AM, PDT)
- Kerry Washington, Viola Davis, Katherine Heigl and More of the Most Stylish Stars of Fall TV—See the Pics! (From E! Online. 18 September 2014, 3:00 PM, PDT)