The Weinstein Company has acquired writer-director Ryan Coogler's debut feature Fruitvale, beating out studios such as Fox Searchlight, Paramount Pictures, Focus Features and CBS Films in a heated bidding war.
The drama is based on the true story of Oscar Grant (Michael B. Jordan), a 22-year-old man who was shot dead in Oakland by transit police, in a case that caused protests over police brutality in the Bay Area. Chad Michael Murray, Kevin Durand, Octavia Spencer, Ahna O'Reilly, and Melonie Diaz also star.
Fruitvale was picked up for just over $2 million by The Weinstein Company, in a deal that guarantees a commitment for a major theatrical release. Forest Whitaker produced the drama alongside Nina Yang, with actress Octavia Spencer also serving as a co-executive producer.
The film has garnered the same kind of momentum that previous Sundance favorites Precious and last year's Beasts of the Southern Wild rode all »
Similar News ItemsParamount Pictures [us]
- Transformers 5 Opens Weak, Wonder Woman Continues Strong In Weekend Four (From LRM Online. 25 June 2017, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- ‘Transformers: The Last Knight’ Finishes Rocky 5-Day Opening With $69 Million (From The Wrap. 25 June 2017, 8:44 AM, PDT)
- Red-Carpet Video Interview: ‘Transformers: The Last Knight’ Star Josh Duhamel (From HollywoodChicago.com. 23 June 2017, 3:32 PM, PDT)
Focus Features [us]
- Ischia Fest to Honor Colin Trevorrow, 'Beguiled' to Open Fest (From The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News. 26 June 2017, 9:37 AM, PDT)
- Transformers 5 Wins the Weekend Box Office with $45.3M (From MovieWeb. 25 June 2017, 12:14 PM, PDT)
- ‘The Big Sick’ and ‘The Beguiled’ Rescue Indie Box Office, Top All 2017 Specialty Openers (From Indiewire. 25 June 2017, 10:45 AM, PDT)
- At&T Hello Lab Launches Mentorship Program With Big Names (From Deadline. 27 June 2017, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- Win Hidden Figures on Blu-ray (From HeyUGuys. 26 June 2017, 12:00 AM, PDT)
- Oscars at the Halfway Mark: ‘Logan,’ ‘Get Out’ and Women Directors (From Variety - Film News. 22 June 2017, 7:00 AM, PDT)