The Weinstein Company has acquired writer-director Ryan Coogler's debut feature Fruitvale, beating out studios such as Fox Searchlight, Paramount Pictures, Focus Features and CBS Films in a heated bidding war.
The drama is based on the true story of Oscar Grant (Michael B. Jordan), a 22-year-old man who was shot dead in Oakland by transit police, in a case that caused protests over police brutality in the Bay Area. Chad Michael Murray, Kevin Durand, Octavia Spencer, Ahna O'Reilly, and Melonie Diaz also star.
Fruitvale was picked up for just over $2 million by The Weinstein Company, in a deal that guarantees a commitment for a major theatrical release. Forest Whitaker produced the drama alongside Nina Yang, with actress Octavia Spencer also serving as a co-executive producer.
The film has garnered the same kind of momentum that previous Sundance favorites Precious and last year's Beasts of the Southern Wild rode all »
Similar News ItemsParamount Pictures [us]
- 2015 MTV Movie Awards Nominees Topped by 'Guardians of the Galaxy' (From Rope Of Silicon. 4 March 2015, 9:31 AM, PST)
- Terminator Genisys: 12 Major Spoilers From The Leaked Script (From Obsessed with Film. 4 March 2015, 9:10 AM, PST)
- 2015 'MTV Movie Awards' Nominations (From MovieWeb. 4 March 2015, 8:43 AM, PST)
Focus Features [us]
- Eddie Redmayne’s ‘Danish Girl’ And Saoirse Ronan’s ‘Brooklyn’ Get Release Dates (From Deadline. 4 March 2015, 5:51 PM, PST)
- Watch: First Trailer for Ryan Reynolds’ ‘Self/Less’ (From Variety - Film News. 4 March 2015, 4:20 PM, PST)
- Movie About World's First Transgender Woman Starring Eddie Redmayne Gets Release Date (From Manny the Movie Guy. 4 March 2015, 3:28 PM, PST)
- HollywoodChicago.com Hookup: 15 Pairs of Fast-Pass 4D Virtual Reality Tickets to ‘Insurgent: Shatter Reality’ (From HollywoodChicago.com. 4 March 2015, 1:37 PM, PST)
- New Song By M83 And Haim Featured On Insurgent: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 2 March 2015, 12:40 PM, PST)
- 5 Movies You Need to See: March 2015 (From MovieWeb. 2 March 2015, 6:44 AM, PST)