Richard Linklater’s Before Sunrise and its follow-up, Before Sunset, are two of indie cinema’s best-loved gems. Set in real-time and following Jesse and Celine as they simply wander about Paris and talk (played wonderfully by Ethan Hawke and Julie Delby), these movies have accumulated a cult following over recent years – and deservedly so.
Both Sunrise and Sunset are intimate, honest touching and life-affirming pictures – not to mention romantic and highly realistic. Now the third – and presumably final – chapter in the series, Before Midnight, has just made its debut at Sundance. Is this a film to cap the series off as a perfect trilogy? How does it continue a story which seemed to be so perfectly wrapped up already? Here’s what the critics have had to say thus far.
In his largely positive review for the Hollywood Reporter, John DeFore said:
“Though this stage is harder to watch, »
- T.J. Barnard
Similar News ItemsEthan Hawke
- Variety Critics Pick the Best Films of Venice, Telluride and Toronto (From Variety - Film News. 15 September 2014, 11:47 AM, PDT)
- Five Possible Oscar Nominees Awaiting Distribution Deals (From Scott Feinberg. 15 September 2014, 8:24 AM, PDT)
- 'The Imitation Game' Wins Toronto Film Festival Audience Award (From Rope Of Silicon. 15 September 2014, 7:01 AM, PDT)
- Casting Net: Chris Hemsworth to star in, produce movie about Hank Williams' ghost (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 16 September 2014, 4:41 PM, PDT)
- ‘Dazed and Confused’ Spiritual Sequel Has Begun Casting the Afflecks and McConaugheys of Tomorrow (From FilmSchoolRejects. 16 September 2014, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- Richard Linklater Lines up Cast for Baseball Movie ‘That’s What I’m Talking About’ (From Slash Film. 16 September 2014, 11:15 AM, PDT)
Before Midnight (2013)
- Unhappily ever after? 10 great films about struggling romances (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 12 September 2014, 9:03 AM, PDT)
- Hawke And Niccol Do Drone Warfare With Good Kill And A New Poster (From We Got This Covered. 10 September 2014, 9:13 AM, PDT)
- Tiff: Ethan Hawke on 'Good Kill' and his post-'Boyhood' blues (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 8 September 2014, 7:00 AM, PDT)