Guillermo del Toro's Mama dominated the competition at this weekend's box office. The film starring Jessica Chastain, about a pair of girls abandoned in the woods and raised for five years by a ghostly entity, came in #1 in theaters this weekend, with $28.1 million in ticket sales. It is projected to take in $33.2 million after Monday's Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.
Mama beat out another Chastain film, Zero Dark Thirty, which enjoyed second place this weekend, in its second week in wide release. Besides Mama, two other films debuted wide this weekend: the Mark Wahlberg-starrer Broken City; and the Arnold Schwarzenegger-starrer The Last Stand. They ranked fifth and tenth, respectively.
- Alyse Wax
Similar News ItemsArnold Schwarzenegger
- Editorial: Predator 2 Doesn’t Deserve Your Hate (From shocktillyoudrop. 20 April 2014, 12:45 PM, PDT)
- The Love Punch review 'utterly joyless' romcom (From The Guardian - Film News. 19 April 2014, 4:04 PM, PDT)
- Old Dudes Shoot Big Guns In New Pics From The Expendables 3 (From We Got This Covered. 17 April 2014, 10:56 AM, PDT)
Mark Wahlberg (I)
- The 101 Best Sports Movies of All Time (From Moviefone. 20 April 2014, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- New Transformers 4 Movie Footage Leaked For Samsung Presentation,New Clip (From OnTheFlix. 19 April 2014, 1:06 PM, PDT)
- Samsung & Gm Unveil New Transformers: Age Of Extinction Footage (From ComicBookMovie. 19 April 2014, 11:20 AM, PDT)
Guillermo del Toro
- New teaser and image from Guillermo del Toro’s The Strain (From Flickeringmyth. 18 April 2014, 1:49 AM, PDT)
- New teaser for Guillermo del Toro's 'The Strain' is an eye-opener (From Hitfix. 17 April 2014, 2:29 PM, PDT)
- ‘Homeland’ Producers’ New FX Drama ‘Tyrant’ Gets Its First Teaser (From Screen Rant. 17 April 2014, 11:36 AM, PDT)