Jonathan Coulton may not be the original artist behind "Baby Got Back," but he does have a rather distinctive version of the song out there. And now it looks like "Glee" may have used that version without permission.
Is this stealing? Is it legal but morally reprehensible? Or is "Glee" entirely in the right? A look at the case may help you decide.
The music/Internet fiasco began on Friday (Jan. 18) when Coulton -- an independent singer with a devoted Twitter following (almost 100,000 of them as of this writing) -- tweeted that a "Glee" recording sounded a whole lot like his own cover of the Sir Mix-a-Lot anthem:
"Hey look, @GleeonFOX ripped off my cover of Baby Got Back... Never even contacted me. Classy."
Twitter furor rose yet again when Coulton posted a follow-up to his first tweet:
"After listening, I think that @GLEEonFOX may have even used parts of my recording. »
Similar News ItemsCyndi Lauper
- Mark Wahlberg and Seth MacFarlane will be talking Ted 2 on The Graham Norton Show (From Digital Spy - TV news. 26 May 2015, 1:22 PM, PDT)
- Mark Wahlberg and Seth MacFarlane will be talking Ted 2 on The Graham Norton Show (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 26 May 2015, 1:22 PM, PDT)
- Jeopardy! Contestant Gives Hilariously Wrong Answer, Still Wins (From E! Online. 26 May 2015, 8:39 AM, PDT)
Sir Mix a Lot
- Michael Strahan and Hoda Kotb Get Funky on ‘Lip Sync Battle’ (Video) (From The Wrap. 30 April 2015, 8:52 PM, PDT)
- Hoda Kotb Nails "Baby Got Back" on Lip Sync Battle (From Popsugar. 29 April 2015, 11:55 AM, PDT)
- Hoda Kotb Unleashes Manic ‘Lip Sync Battle’ Version of ‘Baby Got Back’ (Video) (From The Wrap. 29 April 2015, 10:16 AM, PDT)
- Television that Home Video Forgot: Code Monkeys (2007) (From SoundOnSight. 10 January 2015, 5:00 AM, PST)
- Matthew Lillard Talks Juicy Role on 'The Bridge' (From CineMovie. 2 September 2014, 2:23 PM, PDT)
- Limited Amount of 2014 New York Comic Con Tickets Going on Sale August 7th (From Dread Central. 1 August 2014, 8:30 AM, PDT)