Jonathan Coulton may not be the original artist behind "Baby Got Back," but he does have a rather distinctive version of the song out there. And now it looks like "Glee" may have used that version without permission.
Is this stealing? Is it legal but morally reprehensible? Or is "Glee" entirely in the right? A look at the case may help you decide.
The music/Internet fiasco began on Friday (Jan. 18) when Coulton -- an independent singer with a devoted Twitter following (almost 100,000 of them as of this writing) -- tweeted that a "Glee" recording sounded a whole lot like his own cover of the Sir Mix-a-Lot anthem:
"Hey look, @GleeonFOX ripped off my cover of Baby Got Back... Never even contacted me. Classy."
Twitter furor rose yet again when Coulton posted a follow-up to his first tweet:
"After listening, I think that @GLEEonFOX may have even used parts of my recording. »
Similar News ItemsCyndi Lauper
- Our Link Summer (From FilmExperience. 29 June 2014, 5:58 AM, PDT)
- Watch Walking on Sunshine cast sing 'Girls Just Want to Have Fun' (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 24 June 2014, 6:01 AM, PDT)
- The Essential Cyndi Lauper: Ranking Her Top 20 Songs (From The Backlot. 22 June 2014, 7:58 AM, PDT)
Sir Mix a Lot
- Brian Williams Reveals a Hilarious ‘Bachelorette’ Obsession (Video) (From The Wrap. 8 July 2014, 12:26 PM, PDT)
- Brian Williams Raps 'Baby Got Back' (From Access Hollywood. 17 June 2014, 8:43 AM, PDT)
- Watch Brian Williams Rap 'Baby Got Back' (From Rolling Stone. 17 June 2014, 7:10 AM, PDT)
- Meme: “It Gets Better” For Blake McIver, Glenn Beck Doubles Down On GLAAD and Human Rights, Jonathan Coulton On “The Good Wife” Tribute (From The Backlot. 8 January 2014, 4:53 AM, PST)
- Jonathan Coulton on Seeing His Glee Flap Play out on The Good Wife (From Vulture. 7 January 2014, 7:50 AM, PST)
- 'The Good Wife' rips 'Glee' story from the headlines, makes fantastic music video (From Zap2It - From Inside the Box. 6 January 2014, 4:30 PM, PST)