Jonathan Coulton may not be the original artist behind "Baby Got Back," but he does have a rather distinctive version of the song out there. And now it looks like "Glee" may have used that version without permission.
Is this stealing? Is it legal but morally reprehensible? Or is "Glee" entirely in the right? A look at the case may help you decide.
The music/Internet fiasco began on Friday (Jan. 18) when Coulton -- an independent singer with a devoted Twitter following (almost 100,000 of them as of this writing) -- tweeted that a "Glee" recording sounded a whole lot like his own cover of the Sir Mix-a-Lot anthem:
"Hey look, @GleeonFOX ripped off my cover of Baby Got Back... Never even contacted me. Classy."
Twitter furor rose yet again when Coulton posted a follow-up to his first tweet:
"After listening, I think that @GLEEonFOX may have even used parts of my recording. »
Similar News ItemsCyndi Lauper
- 10 Most Notorious WWE Urban Legends Involving Celebrities (From Obsessed with Film. 31 October 2014, 3:38 AM, PDT)
- Italy’s Singing Nun Picks ‘Like a Virgin’ As Her First Single (From Variety - TV News. 21 October 2014, 6:15 AM, PDT)
- Exclusive Video Interview With Jen McGowan On Kelly & Cal (From We Got This Covered. 14 October 2014, 6:58 AM, PDT)
Sir Mix a Lot
- Kelis Doesn't Even Like Milkshakes (From Entertainment Tonight. 26 September 2014, 1:28 PM, PDT)
- Sir Mix-a-Lot Loves How Nicki Minaj Made ‘Baby Got Back’ Her Own (From Vulture. 21 September 2014, 8:35 AM, PDT)
- Watch: Ellen DeGeneres and More Try to Recreate Nicki Minaj's 'Anaconda' Moves (From PEOPLE.com. 10 September 2014, 1:40 PM, PDT)
- Matthew Lillard Talks Juicy Role on 'The Bridge' (From CineMovie. 2 September 2014, 2:23 PM, PDT)
- Limited Amount of 2014 New York Comic Con Tickets Going on Sale August 7th (From Dread Central. 1 August 2014, 8:30 AM, PDT)
- Meme: “It Gets Better” For Blake McIver, Glenn Beck Doubles Down On GLAAD and Human Rights, Jonathan Coulton On “The Good Wife” Tribute (From The Backlot. 8 January 2014, 4:53 AM, PST)