How do you fight crime when the greatest criminal of them all, Jack the Ripper, walks free?
That's the central question asked in "Ripper Street," a new crime drama airing on BBC America. And the answer creates a new kind of TV show -- a British period drama, a character study, a mystery and a graphically sexual and violent setting all come into play.
The result is as excellent as it is dark.
"Ripper Street" is, in its essence, a police procedural. The show follows the murder investigations of Detective Inspector Edmund Reid (Matthew Macfadyen, "Mi-5"), former Us Army surgeon Captain Homer Jackson (Adam Rothenberg) and Detective Sergeant Bennett Drake (Jerome Flynn, "Game of Thrones"). These three men -- alternately aided and hindered by a collection of policemen, informants and prostitutes -- are brilliant but flawed crime-solvers.
It's almost as if someone took Sherlock Holmes and split him into three parts. »
Similar News Items"Game of Thrones" (2011)
- Emilia Clarke: I Turned Down Fifty Shades Of Grey Because Of “Amount Of Nudity” (From GossipCop. 28 May 2015, 9:17 AM, PDT)
- Gethin Anthony on Becoming Charles Manson in ‘Aquarius’ (From Variety - TV News. 28 May 2015, 9:01 AM, PDT)
- "Game of Thrones" Season 6 Speculation as Casting Announcements Leak Online (From Rope Of Silicon. 28 May 2015, 7:38 AM, PDT)
Sherlock Holmes (2009)
- Lucy Liu to Direct ‘Graceland’ Episode (From Variety - TV News. 28 May 2015, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Fox Rebooting 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' (From Rope Of Silicon. 27 May 2015, 12:03 PM, PDT)
- ‘League of Extraordinary Gentlemen’ is getting a reboot because the time is nigh for steampunk Victoriana (From Hitfix. 27 May 2015, 8:45 AM, PDT)
"Downton Abbey" (2010)
- 5 reasons why Emmy voters will finally embrace 'The Americans' (From Gold Derby. 28 May 2015, 11:02 AM, PDT)
- Seeing the Game of Thrones Cast in Other Roles Will Seriously Weird You Out (From BuzzSugar. 28 May 2015, 5:30 AM, PDT)
- Ciara McAvoy: The Hollywood Interview (From The Hollywood Interview. 27 May 2015, 4:01 PM, PDT)