How do you fight crime when the greatest criminal of them all, Jack the Ripper, walks free?
That's the central question asked in "Ripper Street," a new crime drama airing on BBC America. And the answer creates a new kind of TV show -- a British period drama, a character study, a mystery and a graphically sexual and violent setting all come into play.
The result is as excellent as it is dark.
"Ripper Street" is, in its essence, a police procedural. The show follows the murder investigations of Detective Inspector Edmund Reid (Matthew Macfadyen, "Mi-5"), former Us Army surgeon Captain Homer Jackson (Adam Rothenberg) and Detective Sergeant Bennett Drake (Jerome Flynn, "Game of Thrones"). These three men -- alternately aided and hindered by a collection of policemen, informants and prostitutes -- are brilliant but flawed crime-solvers.
It's almost as if someone took Sherlock Holmes and split him into three parts. »
Similar News Items"Game of Thrones" (2011)
- Footage From "Game Of Thrones: Second Sons" (From SneakPeek. 18 May 2013, 7:31 PM, PDT)
- Game of Thrones review: Season 3, Episode 6 (From Corona's Coming Attractions. 18 May 2013, 3:52 PM, PDT)
- Game of Thrones: Season 3, Episode 7 Deconstructed (From Corona's Coming Attractions. 18 May 2013, 3:29 PM, PDT)
Sherlock Holmes (2009)
- Benedict Cumberbatch as Julian Assange: Producer of documentary 'We Steal Secrets: The Story of WikiLeaks' weighs in (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 18 May 2013, 3:42 PM, PDT)
- Elementary: Season One Ratings (From TVSeriesFinale. 18 May 2013, 2:59 PM, PDT)
- Marvel Studios' Kevin Feige: 'Iron Man could be as timeless as Bond' (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 18 May 2013, 8:47 AM, PDT)
"Downton Abbey" (2010)
- Downton Diddy - Funny or Die Comedy Sketch (From GeekTyrant. 17 May 2013, 11:40 AM, PDT)
- 'Downton Abbey': Diddy and 'The Simpsons' get in on the fun (From Zap2It - From Inside the Box. 17 May 2013, 10:28 AM, PDT)
- First Look: Downton's Dowager Visits Graves (From Huffington Post. 17 May 2013, 8:14 AM, PDT)