How do you fight crime when the greatest criminal of them all, Jack the Ripper, walks free?
That's the central question asked in "Ripper Street," a new crime drama airing on BBC America. And the answer creates a new kind of TV show -- a British period drama, a character study, a mystery and a graphically sexual and violent setting all come into play.
The result is as excellent as it is dark.
"Ripper Street" is, in its essence, a police procedural. The show follows the murder investigations of Detective Inspector Edmund Reid (Matthew Macfadyen, "Mi-5"), former Us Army surgeon Captain Homer Jackson (Adam Rothenberg) and Detective Sergeant Bennett Drake (Jerome Flynn, "Game of Thrones"). These three men -- alternately aided and hindered by a collection of policemen, informants and prostitutes -- are brilliant but flawed crime-solvers.
It's almost as if someone took Sherlock Holmes and split him into three parts. »
Similar News Items"Game of Thrones" (2011)
- CBS' Wisdom of the Crowd: Fall TV First Impression (From TVLine.com. 26 July 2017, 1:19 PM, PDT)
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Images Herald a Long-Awaited Arrival at Dragonstone (From Collider.com. 26 July 2017, 12:55 PM, PDT)
- 'Game of Thrones' Star Pilou Asbæk on Becoming a Maniac as Euron Greyjoy (From The Hollywood Reporter - TV News. 26 July 2017, 12:46 PM, PDT)
"Downton Abbey" (2010)
- Emmys 2017: Handicapping the Top Series and Performer Races (From Variety - TV News. 25 July 2017, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- We Had to Know: Does Ozark's Laura Linney Miss Introducing Downton Abbey? (From E! Online. 24 July 2017, 5:30 AM, PDT)
- Win Viceroy’s House on Blu-ray (From HeyUGuys. 24 July 2017, 12:00 AM, PDT)
Sherlock Holmes (2009)
- Steven Moffat Assumes They’ll Do More Sherlock (From We Got This Covered. 23 July 2017, 1:16 PM, PDT)
- Mark Gatiss Teases A Sherlock In World War II Episode (From We Got This Covered. 18 July 2017, 3:52 PM, PDT)
- Sherlock Season 5 May Not Arrive Until 2020 – If It Arrives At All (From We Got This Covered. 18 July 2017, 1:28 PM, PDT)