How do you fight crime when the greatest criminal of them all, Jack the Ripper, walks free?
That's the central question asked in "Ripper Street," a new crime drama airing on BBC America. And the answer creates a new kind of TV show -- a British period drama, a character study, a mystery and a graphically sexual and violent setting all come into play.
The result is as excellent as it is dark.
"Ripper Street" is, in its essence, a police procedural. The show follows the murder investigations of Detective Inspector Edmund Reid (Matthew Macfadyen, "Mi-5"), former Us Army surgeon Captain Homer Jackson (Adam Rothenberg) and Detective Sergeant Bennett Drake (Jerome Flynn, "Game of Thrones"). These three men -- alternately aided and hindered by a collection of policemen, informants and prostitutes -- are brilliant but flawed crime-solvers.
It's almost as if someone took Sherlock Holmes and split him into three parts. »
Similar News Items"Game of Thrones" (2011)
- Jon Hamm Is Going to Be on Black Mirror (From Vulture. 29 September 2014, 10:01 PM, PDT)
- Watch The Very, Very Funny First Trailer For Inherent Vice (From We Got This Covered. 29 September 2014, 8:46 PM, PDT)
- David Fincher to Direct Entire First Season of HBO’s ‘Utopia’ (From Screen Rant. 29 September 2014, 8:22 PM, PDT)
Sherlock Holmes (2009)
- Gotham Recap: Kitten's Got Claws (From TVLine.com. 29 September 2014, 6:00 PM, PDT)
- Entertainment Geekly: The Batman Top 100 (From EW.com - PopWatch. 29 September 2014, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- Why Denzel Washington May Be the Last Pure Movie Star (From Variety - Film News. 28 September 2014, 10:04 AM, PDT)
"Downton Abbey" (2010)
- Downton Abbey, The Strain, Gogglebox and Marvellous: TV review video (From The Guardian - TV News. 30 September 2014, 2:00 AM, PDT)
- Jon Hamm will appear in the 'Black Mirror' Christmas special (From EW.com - Inside TV. 29 September 2014, 9:19 AM, PDT)
- Elizabeth McGovern of 'Downton Abbey' to tour U.S. with folk-rock band (From EW.com - Inside TV. 29 September 2014, 6:37 AM, PDT)