Given the worldwide attention given to Manti Te'o and his fake girlfriend, Lennay Kekua, it was inevitable the football star would break his silence sooner rather than later. Last night, Te'o sat down for an off-camera interview with Espn's Jeremy Schaap, where he admitted to lyng about actually meeting Kekua because he believed his friends, family and coaches would think he was "crazy" for engaging in an intense relationship with someone he'd never met. But, throughout the interview, Te'o maintains he was not complicit in perpetuating the story for personal gain.
Related - 12 Biggest Celebrity Scandals
"I wasn't faking it. I wasn't part of this," Te'o tells Espn's Jeremy Schapp, insisting he was duped by the online hoax, now commonly referred to as "Catifshing," thanks to the documentary and MTV show of the same name.
Related - Catfish Creator Talks Manti Te'o
"She friend requested me on Facebook the winter of my freshman year at Notre Dame," Te'o »
Similar News ItemsDecember 6 (2010)
- Videos About ‘Frozen’s “Let It Go” Have Generated 477 Million Views On YouTube (From Tubefilter News. 7 March 2014, 3:43 PM, PST)
- ‘Teen Mom’ Star Tyler Baltierra Disses Farrah Abraham On ‘Couples Therapy’ (From HollywoodLife. 9 January 2014, 12:45 PM, PST)
- New Devil’S Due Movie Clip – It’s Pretty Scary! (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 8 January 2014, 12:43 PM, PST)
- Sochi: Hotel Horrors Haunt Olympic Journalists (From The Hollywood Reporter. 4 February 2014, 6:10 PM, PST)
- John Boyega Takes The Lead In Race (From We Got This Covered. 25 January 2014, 9:06 AM, PST)
- John Boyega Will Star As Jesse Owens In New Biopic - Third Owens Project In The Works (From ShadowAndAct. 24 January 2014, 12:04 PM, PST)