Previously: The Honorable Mentions
Often during the calendar-straddling list-making frenzy of "top ten season" a scene or a line of dialogue or even a whole film will refuse to dislodge itself from any internal conversation you may have with oneself about the year. That moment for me this year was Kylie Minogue's cameo late in Holy Motors when she arrives in a trenchcoat, like some lost Casablanca love, to sing:
Who were we. When we were. Who we were back then?
It'd be ineloquent bathos, too crudely and redundantly stated, if it weren't sung. But this heightened musical longing for a lost identity, lifts and soars with pathos instead. The year's best films kept reinforcing this most interior of questions as they wrestled with their past selves towards an uncertain future.
Nathaniel's Top Ten of 2012
From all movies screened that received Us theatrical releases...
- NATHANIEL R
Similar News ItemsThe Hurt Locker (2008)
- Dr. Jekyll Announced for Penny Dreadful Season 3, Patti LuPone to Return in New Role (From DailyDead. 1 September 2015, 3:23 PM, PDT)
- Giveaway: Win a 'Good Kill' Blu-ray and Signed Poster (From MovieWeb. 1 September 2015, 2:48 PM, PDT)
- Penny Dreadful Season 3: Patti LuPone Upgraded to Series Regular, Will Play New Character (From TVovermind.com. 1 September 2015, 9:48 AM, PDT)
Zero Dark Thirty (2012)
- ‘Concussion’ Helmer Peter Landesman On Today’s New York Times Blindside Hit: Is Newspaper Working For The NFL? (From Deadline. 2 September 2015, 10:16 AM, PDT)
- Sony Lawyers Cut Material From Will Smith's 'Concussion' To Avoid Potential Legal Hassles With The N.F.L. (From The Playlist. 2 September 2015, 8:14 AM, PDT)
- 6 Oscar Season Narratives That Could Shape the Race This Year (From Variety - Film News. 31 August 2015, 11:00 AM, PDT)
- Illeana Douglas Hosting TCM’s Trailblazing Women Initiative Beginning Oct. 1 (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 2 September 2015, 7:28 PM, PDT)
- TCM, Women in Film La Launch ‘Trailblazing Women’ Programming Initiative (Exclusive) (From Variety - TV News. 2 September 2015, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- My Pitch for The Hurt Locker on Faraci and Nicholson’s The Canon (From AwardsDaily. 24 August 2015, 10:14 AM, PDT)