Previously: The Honorable Mentions
Often during the calendar-straddling list-making frenzy of "top ten season" a scene or a line of dialogue or even a whole film will refuse to dislodge itself from any internal conversation you may have with oneself about the year. That moment for me this year was Kylie Minogue's cameo late in Holy Motors when she arrives in a trenchcoat, like some lost Casablanca love, to sing:
Who were we. When we were. Who we were back then?
It'd be ineloquent bathos, too crudely and redundantly stated, if it weren't sung. But this heightened musical longing for a lost identity, lifts and soars with pathos instead. The year's best films kept reinforcing this most interior of questions as they wrestled with their past selves towards an uncertain future.
Nathaniel's Top Ten of 2012
From all movies screened that received Us theatrical releases...
- NATHANIEL R
Similar News ItemsThe Hurt Locker (2008)
- Analysis: SAG Awards Seal Frontrunner Status for Several Film Nominees (From Variety - TV News. 25 January 2015, 7:21 PM, PST)
- Analysis: SAG Awards Seal Frontrunner Status for Several Film Nominees (From Variety - Film News. 25 January 2015, 7:21 PM, PST)
- Is 'Birdman' Now Your Best Picture Frontrunnerc Takes 2015 Producers Guild Award! (From Rope Of Silicon. 24 January 2015, 10:28 PM, PST)
Zero Dark Thirty (2012)
- James Franco Talks 'Resentment,' 'Weird Expectations' for 'The Interview' (From Rolling Stone. 26 January 2015, 12:37 PM, PST)
- The Callow Way – Why We Like Special Forces Movies (From Flickeringmyth. 25 January 2015, 7:06 AM, PST)
- Review: When Felicity Jones is the best part of 'True Story' we've got problems (From Hitfix. 24 January 2015, 1:40 PM, PST)
- Bill Maher Weighs In On “American Sniper” Video (From Monsters and Critics. 24 January 2015, 12:59 PM, PST)
- Bill Maher Thinks the American Sniper Is More Like a ‘Psychopath Patriot’ (From Vulture. 24 January 2015, 10:47 AM, PST)
- Class Disparities and Prostitution Tackled in Early Female Director's Drama (From Alt Film Guide. 23 January 2015, 5:01 PM, PST)