A wistful, melancholy spirit haunts Crystal Fairy, the first of two Sundance 2013 movies from Chile's Sebastian Silva. The director, you will recall, won the 2009 World Cinema Dramatic Grand Jury prize here for The Maid and while Crystal Fairy is far more capricious, there are plenty of the film-maker's familiar traits to keep fans happy.
The movie's full title is Crystal Fairy and the Magic Cactus and 2012, a self-indulgent sprawl of words that suits the movie's psychedelic undercurrent. If you can get past the title, the story itself – based on a true experience plucked from Silva's life some 10 years ago – is a largely entertaining ride that will most likely appeal more to young adults.
Michael Cera gives one of his best performances to date as a twitchy, self-absorbed young American »
- Jeremy Kay
Similar News ItemsWoody Allen
- "Transporter Refueled" Star Reveals Why She Left Modeling Behind (From TooFab. 4 September 2015, 1:00 PM, PDT)
- Lolo Movie Review (From ShockYa. 4 September 2015, 7:42 AM, PDT)
- San Sebastian Honors Emily Watson With Donostia Award (From Variety - Film News. 4 September 2015, 5:24 AM, PDT)
- Wes Craven, Horror Legend, Dead at 76 (From TVLine.com. 30 August 2015, 6:25 PM, PDT)
- Ready Player One: All your favourite video game movies in one supercut (From Cineplex. 20 August 2015, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Zach Galifianakis Will Take on The Joker as 'Lego Batman' Finds Its Villain (From Rope Of Silicon. 13 August 2015, 7:40 AM, PDT)
- Ricki and the Flash review: “Fails to hit the right notes” (From The Hollywood News. 4 September 2015, 6:56 AM, PDT)
- Ricki and the Flash review: Meryl Streep goes from Iron Lady to Iron Maiden (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 4 September 2015, 6:00 AM, PDT)
- Good Universe Hires Kelli Konop for Production Post (From Variety - Film News. 2 September 2015, 9:15 AM, PDT)