Southampton manager Nigel Adkins has been sacked after two-and-a-half years in charge at St. Mary’s.
Argentine Mauricio Pochettino has been appointed in his place, according to the BBC.
The surprising decision comes just two days after The Saints heroically came back from 2-o down at Stamford Bridge to draw with European Champions Chelsea and with the club in as stable a position as they have been all term, currently standing three points above the drop zone in 15th. They had only lost twice in their last ten games.
Adkins, 47, took the club from League One to the Premier League with successive promotions, bringing them back to the Premier League for the first time in seven years.
However Southampton chairman Nicola Cortese claims the decision is not about short term survival but about long-term growth;
“This decision has been made with the long-term ambitions of Southampton Football Club in mind. »
- Joseph Dempsey
Similar News ItemsDavid Beckham (I)
- David Beckham Is So Excited When Harper Rides a Bike by Herself For the First Time (From Popsugar. 27 March 2017, 7:44 AM, PDT)
- David Beckham Is 'So Proud' of Daughter Harper Riding a Bike for the First Time -- See the Heartwarming Video! (From Entertainment Tonight. 26 March 2017, 5:30 PM, PDT)
- Here's Proof Victoria Beckham Won Mother's Day in the U.K. With Endless Tributes From David Beckham and Their Kids (From E! Online. 26 March 2017, 2:23 PM, PDT)
- Spurs 0-1 Crystal Palace – 6 Things We Learned (From Obsessed with Film. 21 February 2016, 3:17 PM, PST)
- Spurs Transfers: 7 Signings To Secure Champions League Football (From Obsessed with Film. 15 January 2016, 12:21 PM, PST)
- Tottenham Enquire About Newcastle Midfielder (From Obsessed with Film. 1 September 2015, 5:30 AM, PDT)
Michael Owen (XV)
- ‘Arabian Nights’ and ‘Layla M’ Provide Feminist Slant to Dubai Film Fest (From Variety - Film News. 2 December 2016, 10:00 AM, PST)
- ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’ to Launch From Dubai Film Fest Into Middle East (From Variety - Film News. 23 November 2016, 10:33 AM, PST)
- 30 Football Cliches That Badly Need To Die (From Obsessed with Film. 2 March 2016, 1:08 AM, PST)