By Joey Magidson
For a filmmaker, it’s rare to make a real impact with your debut feature. Most of the time, you begin your career with a calling-card movie or a work that doesn’t fully express your true talent. There are, however, certain instances when a director is able to wow audiences and leave his or her mark on the film world right from the get-go.
This year, we’ve seen Benh Zeitlin make his debut with a film that many absolutely love in Beasts of the Southern Wild. Zeitlin’s freshman feature has been mentioned as one of the top debuts by a filmmaker in some time, so that got me thinking: What are the 10 best of all time?
Of course, there’s some level of subjectivity to this kind of a list. If I were strictly going off of my personal favorite debuts, people such as Judd Apatow, »
- Joey Magidson
Similar News ItemsKevin Smith (I)
- A24 Set to Release Kevin Smith's Latest Next Year; Company Says Film Will 'Blow People's Minds' (From Indiewire. 11 December 2013, 8:06 AM, PST)
- A24 and Demarest Films to Distribute Kevin Smith's 'Tusk' in 2014 (From FirstShowing.net. 11 December 2013, 7:50 AM, PST)
- Kevin Smiths Tusk Due for Release Next Autumn! (From Horror Asylum. 11 December 2013)
- U.S. Trailer for Quentin Tarantino's Favorite Film of 2013 - Big Bad Wolves (From GeekTyrant. 11 December 2013, 9:00 AM, PST)
- The 12 Most Insane Genre Transitions Made By Directors (From FilmSchoolRejects. 11 December 2013, 8:00 AM, PST)
- Quentin Tarantino: Hero of the Homevideo Business (From Variety - Film News. 11 December 2013, 7:00 AM, PST)
John Cusack (I)
- ’12 Years a Slave,’ ‘Breaking Bad’ Lead SAG Nominations (From Variety - Film News. 11 December 2013, 10:34 AM, PST)
- SAG Award Nominations Are In- Who Got In? Who Got Snubbed? (From LatinoReview. 11 December 2013, 8:34 AM, PST)
- SAG Awards 2014 Nominations: '12 Years a Slave' Takes the Lead (From Moviefone. 11 December 2013, 2:45 AM, PST)