Ladies and gentlemen, start your Kleenex.
Indeed, 12 seasons in, the giant onion that is American Idol hasn’t lost an ounce of potency. Sit with it long enough — breathe in its swelling strings and its harrowing backstories and its humble notion that, with the right melody, the misfits and outsiders and scrappers of the world can make like Kelly Clarkson and have their very own “moment like this” — and eventually, you’ll be succumbing to the urge to ugly cry on your couch.
To put it another way: Nigel Lythgoe, 1; America’s tear ducts, 0.
- Michael Slezak
Similar News Items"American Idol" (2002)
- ‘Millionaire Matchmaker’ Producer Rob Lee on When to Tweak a Long-Running Series (From The Wrap. 19 December 2014, 8:40 PM, PST)
- Kevin Hart, Jennifer Aniston, and Michael Keaton honored at the first People Magazine Awards (From Hitfix. 19 December 2014, 4:23 AM, PST)
- 'The Sing-Off' falls flat (From Hitfix. 17 December 2014, 10:06 PM, PST)
Barack Obama (I)
- Sony Hit With Fifth Class-Action Lawsuit Following Cyberattack (From The Wrap. 21 December 2014, 10:54 AM, PST)
- John McCain Calls Sony Hack "New Form of Warfare" (From The Hollywood Reporter. 21 December 2014, 10:27 AM, PST)
- Obama Calls Sony Hack ‘Cyber Vandalism,’ Not Act of War (From Variety - Film News. 21 December 2014, 9:52 AM, PST)
Jennifer Lopez (I)
- Celebrities with Award-Worthy Shoe Game (From VH1.com. 20 December 2014, 7:00 AM, PST)
- Jennifer Lopez Shares Rare Pic of Twins Emme and Max -- They're So Big Now! (From TooFab. 20 December 2014, 6:45 AM, PST)
- Jennifer Lopez Flaunts Major Cleavage at People Magazine Awards -- See the Best Dressed Stars! (From TooFab. 19 December 2014, 6:15 AM, PST)