That 2012 began with an overwrought hyper-melodramatic brutal and tumultuous remake of Agneepath and ended with Yash Chopra’s muted mellow all-heart-no-malice ode to romance Jab Tak Hai Jaan seems indicative of the direction that Bollywood seems headed for. The journey, as we can see, is unpredictable and largely exciting. Looking back, some films of 2012 that fetched hype-star ratings seem bloated and over-eager to please either critics or the masses, but never both. Luckily the films that were truly meritorious did get a place under the swoon.
Each year Bollywood surprises us, and not always in a good way. 2012 seems like a watershed year even by the continuously evolving standards of filmmaking set by envelope-pushing directors who have filtered into filmdom during the past years. 2012 was the year when Tigmanshu Dhulia, Sujoy Ghosh and Shoojit Sircar came into their own with films that took mainstream cinema to new heights. It was »
- Subhash K Jha
Similar News ItemsRobert Downey Jr.
- Vote for the 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' IMAX Poster You Like Best (From Rope Of Silicon. 31 March 2015, 1:56 PM, PDT)
- Stan Lee teases his Avengers: Age of Ultron cameo (From Flickeringmyth. 31 March 2015, 1:47 PM, PDT)
- Vote for your favourite Avengers: Age of Ultron IMAX poster (From Flickeringmyth. 31 March 2015, 12:51 PM, PDT)
Shah Rukh Khan (I)
- Shah Rukh Khan shakes a leg with Shiamak dance team in London (From Bollyspice. 31 March 2015, 6:06 AM, PDT)
- Who’s Hot Who’s Not: Ht Style Awards 2015 (From Bollyspice. 30 March 2015, 12:39 AM, PDT)
- Katrina Kaif officially launches her own wax figure at Madame Tussauds, London (From Bollyspice. 29 March 2015, 12:30 AM, PDT)
Akshay Kumar (I)
- Kareena Kapoor Khan’s new look in ‘Gabbar Is Back’ (From Bollyspice. 31 March 2015, 2:21 AM, PDT)
- Martial Arts Calling for the Dedicated Jacqueline Fernandez (From Bollyspice. 31 March 2015, 12:04 AM, PDT)
- Taapsee Pannu: I used to defend Karisma Kapoor saying that she is the best actress (From GlamSham. 30 March 2015, 3:24 AM, PDT)