For those hoping Paramount will move forward on a sequel to Jack Reacher, the chances are slim, barring a box office miracle in Asia. Insiders claim that the Tom Cruise action-thriller has to do "exceptional" business in key Asian territories, in order to warrant a follow-up.
Jack Reacher has earned $72.6 million domestically, with a worldwide tally of $153 million. Sources claim that Paramount Pictures will not consider making Jack Reacher 2 unless the worldwide total is over $250 million. Director Christopher McQuarrie's adaptation of Lee Child's novel opens in Korea this week, with its Japanese debut slated for February 1, and a Chinese release tentatively set for February 16.
The film is projected to earn around $85 million domestically, which means it would need $165 million internationally, twice its current total. Jack Reacher will face competition from The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which debuts in China February 22, and two Chinese movies opening February 14, that coincide with the Chinese New Year. »
Similar News ItemsTom Cruise
- Ryan Reynolds talks taking on a new action role in The Hitman’s Bodyguard (From Cineplex. 16 August 2017, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Shooting On ‘Mission: Impossible 6’ Could Be Delayed By Four Months (From The Hollywood News. 15 August 2017, 11:00 PM, PDT)
- Hawkeye Will Be Sporting A Sweet New Do In Avengers: Infinity War (From We Got This Covered. 15 August 2017, 3:06 PM, PDT)
Paramount Pictures [us]
- Paramount Stakes Graham King Gk Films To 3-Year First Look (From Deadline. 16 August 2017, 9:06 AM, PDT)
- Deadpool 2 Shuts Down Production In Light Of Tragic Accident (From We Got This Covered. 15 August 2017, 11:42 AM, PDT)
- Filming On Mission: Impossible 6 Postponed To Accommodate Tom Cruise’s “Serious” Injury (From We Got This Covered. 15 August 2017, 10:45 AM, PDT)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- "Startup" - Welcome To The 'Darknet' (From SneakPeek. 16 August 2017, 6:04 AM, PDT)
- Warner Bros., Tolkien Estate Settle Massive ‘Lord of the Rings’ Lawsuit (From Variety - Film News. 3 July 2017, 7:39 AM, PDT)
- Aussie actors, directors and technicians invited to join Oscars body (From IF.com.au. 29 June 2017, 12:34 AM, PDT)