For those hoping Paramount will move forward on a sequel to Jack Reacher, the chances are slim, barring a box office miracle in Asia. Insiders claim that the Tom Cruise action-thriller has to do "exceptional" business in key Asian territories, in order to warrant a follow-up.
Jack Reacher has earned $72.6 million domestically, with a worldwide tally of $153 million. Sources claim that Paramount Pictures will not consider making Jack Reacher 2 unless the worldwide total is over $250 million. Director Christopher McQuarrie's adaptation of Lee Child's novel opens in Korea this week, with its Japanese debut slated for February 1, and a Chinese release tentatively set for February 16.
The film is projected to earn around $85 million domestically, which means it would need $165 million internationally, twice its current total. Jack Reacher will face competition from The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which debuts in China February 22, and two Chinese movies opening February 14, that coincide with the Chinese New Year. »
Similar News ItemsTom Cruise
- Need For Speed review (From Den of Geek. 9 March 2014, 1:28 AM, PST)
- Festival aims to put Hollywood back in the frame with bid to recapture the glory days (From The Guardian - Film News. 8 March 2014, 4:11 PM, PST)
- Tom Cruise's Ex Katie Holmes Reality TV Show - Following Gwyneth Paltrow's Lead? (From National Ledger. 8 March 2014, 6:45 AM, PST)
Paramount Pictures [us]
- Sony's Dark and Gritty Zorro Reboot Finds a Writer (From GeekTyrant. 9 March 2014, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- New 300,Rise Of An Empire Movie Delivered Great Action,Drama,Gore & More (From OnTheFlix. 8 March 2014, 8:04 PM, PST)
- Oracle Co-Founder Larry Ellison Honored at Gala Benefiting USC Cancer Research (From The Wrap. 7 March 2014, 3:52 PM, PST)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- Starz, BBC Team Up for New Drama Series ‘The Missing’ (From The Wrap. 6 March 2014, 11:30 AM, PST)
- Funky Trailer for Lego The Hobbit - Buddy-Up (From GeekTyrant. 6 March 2014, 11:30 AM, PST)
- New Trailer for Lego The Hobbit Debuts (From Comingsoon.net. 6 March 2014)