For those hoping Paramount will move forward on a sequel to Jack Reacher, the chances are slim, barring a box office miracle in Asia. Insiders claim that the Tom Cruise action-thriller has to do "exceptional" business in key Asian territories, in order to warrant a follow-up.
Jack Reacher has earned $72.6 million domestically, with a worldwide tally of $153 million. Sources claim that Paramount Pictures will not consider making Jack Reacher 2 unless the worldwide total is over $250 million. Director Christopher McQuarrie's adaptation of Lee Child's novel opens in Korea this week, with its Japanese debut slated for February 1, and a Chinese release tentatively set for February 16.
The film is projected to earn around $85 million domestically, which means it would need $165 million internationally, twice its current total. Jack Reacher will face competition from The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which debuts in China February 22, and two Chinese movies opening February 14, that coincide with the Chinese New Year. »
Similar News ItemsTom Cruise
- Katie Holmes Goes Nuts - Over Squirrel (From PEOPLE.com. 23 May 2013, 1:00 PM, PDT)
- 'Star Trek' Actress Suspects Nasa Is Hiding Proof Aliens Exist (From Huffington Post. 23 May 2013, 10:46 AM, PDT)
- 'Twilight' dominates Teen Choice Awards nominations (From EW.com - PopWatch. 23 May 2013, 6:52 AM, PDT)
Paramount Pictures [us]
- Video – Muse To Perform At London Premiere of World War Z On June 2 (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 23 May 2013, 7:50 PM, PDT)
- New World War Z Poster, Brad Pitt Attends Surprise Advance Fan Screening, TV Spot (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 23 May 2013, 1:27 PM, PDT)
- Six Things We Learned While Watching 'World War Z' with Brad Pitt (From Movies.com. 23 May 2013, 1:20 PM, PDT)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- New trailer for The World's End (From Flickeringmyth. 23 May 2013, 3:55 PM, PDT)
- Cate Blanchett Finds Carol (From EmpireOnline. 22 May 2013, 11:30 AM, PDT)
- See A Photo From The Set Of 'The Hobbit' (From Huffington Post. 22 May 2013, 7:29 AM, PDT)