PBS' "Pioneers of Television" is back for its third season this month -- now narrated by one of today's busiest personalities in that business, Ryan Seacrest -- with four new episodes devoted to some of the most memorable moments and people in popular TV genres.
"Funny Ladies," which kicks off the run of new episodes Tuesday, Jan. 15, begins with the first female comedians to appear on television, including Joan Rivers and Phyllis Diller, whose final interview was for this episode. It also looks at Lucille Ball's breakthrough on "I Love Lucy" and the female sitcom stars who followed, including Mary Tyler Moore, Betty White and Marla Gibbs.
Cloris Leachman -- who is one of the funniest ladies in television history and is also featured in this episode -- speaks to the nature of being able to make people laugh versus more dramatic acting roles.
"Each one is important," she tells Zap2it. »
Similar News ItemsRyan Seacrest
- Taylor Swift Contributes to Street Musician - Set for iHeartRadio Music Festival in Las Vegas (From National Ledger. 26 July 2014, 12:13 PM, PDT)
- Jennifer Lopez, Afrojack, Usher, and Kiss Say Yes to CBS's Revived ‘Fashion Rocks’ (From The Wrap. 24 July 2014, 11:46 PM, PDT)
- Ryan Seacrest To Host Star-Studded 'Fashion Rocks' TV Extravaganza! (From Entertainment Tonight. 24 July 2014, 7:29 PM, PDT)
Betty White (I)
- How ‘Hot in Cleveland's’ Animated Episode Captured the Stars’ Many Faces (Exclusive Video) (From The Wrap. 29 July 2014, 4:47 PM, PDT)
- Cancelled or Renewed? Status of NBC TV Shows (From TVSeriesFinale. 28 July 2014, 12:48 PM, PDT)
- Betty White on Her Legendary Hollywood Game Nights (From Hitfix. 26 July 2014, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Pedro Almodovar Condemn Israel for Gaza Attacks (From The Wrap. 29 July 2014, 7:04 AM, PDT)
- The Fashion Police Give Their Ruling on Selena Gomez's White, Feathered Dress—Watch the Hilarious Clip! (From E! Online. 29 July 2014, 6:05 AM, PDT)
- Jordin Sparks, Common and the Fashion Police Guess Celebs From Pictures of Their Behinds—See the Outrageous Clip! (From E! Online. 28 July 2014, 4:16 PM, PDT)