Designers draw frequently draw inspiration from Hitchcock's women of mystery. So why are his famous blondes always in style?
Alfred Hitchcock loved blondes, but he famously dismissed Marilyn Monroe as too "obvious". So, it's a little surprising that Scarlett Johansson – Monroe's modern-day equivalent, complete with curves and pillow lips – is starring in next month's Hitchcock, the biopic that recounts the making of Psycho. She plays Janet Leigh, a woman definitely more in Hitchcock's favoured buttoned-up mould. But while the casting may seem a stretch, one thing is certain – the film will encourage yet another tryst between fashion and the director's heroines.
Hitchcock heroines have become a style trope – classics rolled out as a reference on the catwalk every so often, just like Edie Sedgwick, Catherine Deneuve in Belle de Jour or Kurt Cobain. Alexander McQueen famously presented a Hitchcock collection for autumn/winter 2005 and, with its angora sweaters, »
- Lauren Cochrane
Similar News ItemsScarlett Johansson
- 'Avengers 2' Photo Shows Hydra Soldiers in Chitauri Armor (From MovieWeb. 27 March 2015, 4:36 PM, PDT)
- Robert Downey Jr. talks Avengers: Age of Ultron and Tony Stark’s relationship with Steve Rogers (From Flickeringmyth. 27 March 2015, 4:00 PM, PDT)
- New Avengers: Age Of Ultron Featurette Highlights Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch (From Collider.com. 27 March 2015, 3:17 PM, PDT)
- How the Smash–Bombshell Concert Became the Most Successful Theater Kickstarter Campaign Ever (From Vulture. 25 March 2015, 8:10 AM, PDT)
- Glamorous Gwen Stefani Treats Her Boys to Tennis (From Popsugar. 24 March 2015, 10:30 AM, PDT)
- 2015 Cannes Film Festival Official Poster Pays Tribute to Ingrid Bergman (From Rope Of Silicon. 23 March 2015, 10:10 AM, PDT)
Alfred Hitchcock (I)
- Watch: Vintage, 18-Minute Talk With Alfred Hitchcock From 1969 (From The Playlist. 27 March 2015, 3:35 PM, PDT)
- ‘Gone Girl’ author boards next project from ’12 Years A Slave’ director (From SoundOnSight. 27 March 2015, 1:04 PM, PDT)
- Attention, Filmmakers: Learn the Secrets of Hitchcock's Genius in 'Hitch20' Docu-Series (From Indiewire. 27 March 2015, 10:34 AM, PDT)