Each week we ask readers to tell us about cinemas close to their hearts. Today, a London theatre with an impeccable programme
This week's Clip joint is by James Rawson, a TV and web producer specialising in film journalism and based in Doha. Follow him on Twitter at @jrawson.
The Prince Charles Cinema is located in the heart of London. Stand in the middle of Leicester Square and walk away from the tourists. If you hit Chinatown you've gone too far.
In 1962 the building was opened as a theatre with a distinctive "satellite dish" design, meaning that audience members are sat at an upwards angle as they face the stage. After a short period supporting the dramatic arts, the building was reinvented as a porn cinema. During this illustrious period it hosted the UK's longest continuous run of era-defining grumble flick Emmanuelle.
Mostly students and »
- Guardian readers
Similar News ItemsKevin Smith (I)
- The Lost Room: looking back at an overlooked sci-fi gem (From Den of Geek. 17 October 2016, 1:55 AM, PDT)
- The Week in Star Wars – New Rogue One trailer, poster and reactions, Obi-Wan movie, new ongoing comic series and more (From Flickeringmyth. 16 October 2016, 6:41 AM, PDT)
- Sequel Bits: ‘John Wick: Chapter 3,’ ‘Mallrats 2,’ ‘The Predator,’ ‘Jurassic World 2,’ and ‘Planet Earth 2’ (From Slash Film. 14 October 2016, 5:30 AM, PDT)
- Fabio Frizzi to appear at McM London Comic Con (From Blogomatic3000. 26 October 2016, 5:38 AM, PDT)
- Why Quentin Tarantino won’t be doing Deadpool 2 (From Flickeringmyth. 26 October 2016, 4:25 AM, PDT)
- Deadpool 2 Fight Was Over Two Very Different Versions of the Movie (From MovieWeb. 25 October 2016, 6:09 PM, PDT)
The Lord of the Rings (1978)
- Halloween Party Tips and Indoor Lighting with the Philips Hue System (From DailyDead. 25 October 2016, 2:12 PM, PDT)
- Peter Jackson Sets Mortal Engines Adaptation As Next Project, But He Won’t Direct (From We Got This Covered. 25 October 2016, 6:43 AM, PDT)
- Peter Jackson’s next project will be Mortal Engines (From Den of Geek. 24 October 2016, 11:21 PM, PDT)