World's biggest watchmaker buys jeweller immortalised by Marilyn Monroe in Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend
"Harry Winston, tell me all about it!" sang Marilyn Monroe breathlessly in Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend. Now Swatch is paying up to $1bn (£619m) for the glamorous jeweller and watchmaker in a hope of buying a piece of Hollywood legend.
The world's biggest watchmaker is paying $750m for Harry Winston, which employs 535 people, plus up to $250m of net debt. It is not buying Harry Winston's mining activities.
The chair of Swatch, Nayla Hayek, said: "Harry Winston does brilliantly complement the prestige segment of the group. We are proud and happy to welcome Harry Winston to the Swatch Group family," adding, perhaps inevitably: "Diamonds are still a girl's best friend."
It is Swatch's first big takeover in years and comes as watchmakers race to buy up know-how and production facilities around the world. »
- Josephine Moulds
Similar News ItemsDaniel Craig (I)
- From Broadway with Love - James Bond: The Musical is coming (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 3 July 2015, 6:58 AM, PDT)
- Idris Elba says never say never as he calls James Bond role 'a rumour' (From The Guardian - Film News. 30 June 2015, 1:32 AM, PDT)
- Awards for Prison Song and God Squad (From IF.com.au. 29 June 2015, 7:58 PM, PDT)
- Elizabeth Olsen Suffers Wardrobe Malfunction in Paris on the 4th of July—See the Photo! (From E! Online. 5 July 2015, 1:45 PM, PDT)
- Elizabeth Olsen Has Marilyn Monroe Moment in Paris, Flashes Nude-Colored Underwear (From Us Weekly. 5 July 2015, 9:27 AM, PDT)
- Smash’s Megan Hilty Thinks She Would Be ‘Perfect’ for Bombshell (From Vulture. 1 July 2015, 6:07 AM, PDT)