World's biggest watchmaker buys jeweller immortalised by Marilyn Monroe in Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend
"Harry Winston, tell me all about it!" sang Marilyn Monroe breathlessly in Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend. Now Swatch is paying up to $1bn (£619m) for the glamorous jeweller and watchmaker in a hope of buying a piece of Hollywood legend.
The world's biggest watchmaker is paying $750m for Harry Winston, which employs 535 people, plus up to $250m of net debt. It is not buying Harry Winston's mining activities.
The chair of Swatch, Nayla Hayek, said: "Harry Winston does brilliantly complement the prestige segment of the group. We are proud and happy to welcome Harry Winston to the Swatch Group family," adding, perhaps inevitably: "Diamonds are still a girl's best friend."
It is Swatch's first big takeover in years and comes as watchmakers race to buy up know-how and production facilities around the world. »
- Josephine Moulds
Similar News ItemsDaniel Craig (I)
- 'Logan Lucky' Trailer: Channing Tatum, Adam Driver Try to Pull Off a Big Heist (From The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News. 28 May 2017, 3:04 PM, PDT)
- ‘Logan Lucky’ First Trailer: Steven Soderbergh Races Back to the Big Screen After A Four-Year Hiatus (From Indiewire. 28 May 2017, 2:49 PM, PDT)
- David Fincher: Discover The Hidden Visual Effects in His Greatest Films — Watch (From Indiewire. 26 May 2017, 2:37 PM, PDT)
- Inferno 3-D (From Trailers from Hell. 26 May 2017, 5:10 PM, PDT)
- First Look: Gillian Anderson Embodies Ziggy Stardust-Era David Bowie on 'American Gods' (From Entertainment Tonight. 25 May 2017, 6:03 PM, PDT)
- Gillian Anderson Channels David Bowie in ‘American Gods’ Clip (Video) (From The Wrap. 25 May 2017, 11:23 AM, PDT)