World's biggest watchmaker buys jeweller immortalised by Marilyn Monroe in Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend
"Harry Winston, tell me all about it!" sang Marilyn Monroe breathlessly in Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend. Now Swatch is paying up to $1bn (£619m) for the glamorous jeweller and watchmaker in a hope of buying a piece of Hollywood legend.
The world's biggest watchmaker is paying $750m for Harry Winston, which employs 535 people, plus up to $250m of net debt. It is not buying Harry Winston's mining activities.
The chair of Swatch, Nayla Hayek, said: "Harry Winston does brilliantly complement the prestige segment of the group. We are proud and happy to welcome Harry Winston to the Swatch Group family," adding, perhaps inevitably: "Diamonds are still a girl's best friend."
It is Swatch's first big takeover in years and comes as watchmakers race to buy up know-how and production facilities around the world. »
- Josephine Moulds
Similar News ItemsDaniel Craig (I)
- Bond 24 Wants An Iconic Henchman Like Jaws & Oddjob (From ComicBookMovie. 23 August 2014, 12:32 AM, PDT)
- What lies ahead for the Spider-Man franchise? (From Den of Geek. 21 August 2014, 1:17 AM, PDT)
- Idris Elba, Russell T Davies and Neil Gaiman encourage investment in minority programming (From Den of Geek. 20 August 2014, 11:36 PM, PDT)
- Andrew Dominik Will Script Shaolin Temple, For Justin Lin To Direct (From We Got This Covered. 22 August 2014, 2:53 PM, PDT)
- Andrew Dominik to Pen Justin Lin’s 3D Shaolin Temple Remake (From Collider.com. 22 August 2014, 1:15 PM, PDT)
- Movie Poster of the Week: The Illustrated Lauren Bacall (From MUBI. 21 August 2014, 10:18 PM, PDT)