World's biggest watchmaker buys jeweller immortalised by Marilyn Monroe in Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend
"Harry Winston, tell me all about it!" sang Marilyn Monroe breathlessly in Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend. Now Swatch is paying up to $1bn (£619m) for the glamorous jeweller and watchmaker in a hope of buying a piece of Hollywood legend.
The world's biggest watchmaker is paying $750m for Harry Winston, which employs 535 people, plus up to $250m of net debt. It is not buying Harry Winston's mining activities.
The chair of Swatch, Nayla Hayek, said: "Harry Winston does brilliantly complement the prestige segment of the group. We are proud and happy to welcome Harry Winston to the Swatch Group family," adding, perhaps inevitably: "Diamonds are still a girl's best friend."
It is Swatch's first big takeover in years and comes as watchmakers race to buy up know-how and production facilities around the world. »
- Josephine Moulds
Similar News ItemsDaniel Craig (I)
- 007 contenders for Spectre's theme song: Ellie Goulding, Sam Smith, Adele and the rest (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 27 July 2015, 5:34 AM, PDT)
- James Bond Returns in New Spectre Trailer (From CinemaNerdz. 27 July 2015, 2:00 AM, PDT)
- Can 'Star Wars' Find 'Guardians' Star Dave Bautista a Role? (From MovieWeb. 24 July 2015, 9:53 AM, PDT)
- Sheer Perfection: A Brief History of the Naked Dress on the Red Carpet (From E! Online. 27 July 2015, 7:23 PM, PDT)
- Cara Delevingne Has a Wardrobe Malfunction, Flashes Butt in Parking Lot—See Pics! (From E! Online. 26 July 2015, 8:19 PM, PDT)
- Jennifer Lopez Instagrams Adorable Throwback Pic in Spirit of 46th Birthday (From E! Online. 24 July 2015, 4:48 PM, PDT)