PG Wodehouse's gentle unravelling of upper-class twerpery offers us refuge from our own rage. But was he a class warrior?
Blandings is coming to BBC1, and if it's half as good an adaptation as the Fry and Laurie-palooza that was Jeeves and Wooster then I may just make it through the month. PG Wodehouse has always been a balm for homesickness, heartbreak, and general crabbiness, so he can sure as hell cure January. The question I've been asking myself recently though is, can he do more than distract me from the deep feelings of disenchantment? Does the wit of Wodehouse in fact offer a solution to my rage?
Wodehouse claimed he wrote "a sort of musical comedy without music and ignoring real life altogether", and it's true that when I first read him 20 years ago I enjoyed his frothy escapism. I wanted to live in a world where sideboards »
- Morven Crumlish
Similar News ItemsKim Kardashian West
- Kim Kardashian Calls Bruce Jenner’s Transition ‘a Hard Adjustment’ in ‘Today Show’ Interview (Video) (From The Wrap. 25 April 2015, 6:52 PM, PDT)
- Bruce Jenner's Interview: 10 of the Most Eye-Opening Moments (From Popsugar. 25 April 2015, 3:01 PM, PDT)
- Kim Kardashian Admits Bruce Jenner's Transition Has Been a "Hard Adjustment," Says Family Is in Therapy (From E! Online. 25 April 2015, 2:35 PM, PDT)
- Tomorrowland: Over 100 Images from the Walt Disney Studios Special Exhibit (From Collider.com. 24 April 2015, 12:17 PM, PDT)
- Hang On – Here Comes The New IMAX Tomorrowland Poster; Watch The Latest Trailer (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 22 April 2015, 10:24 AM, PDT)
- Is Disney’s ‘Tomorrowland’ Movie Too Violent for Kids? See the New Trailer! (From TheImproper.com. 22 April 2015, 6:48 AM, PDT)
"Jeeves and Wooster" (1990)
- 13 British comedy stars lured to Hollywood in the 1990s (From Den of Geek. 20 April 2015, 10:52 AM, PDT)
- Watch Ewan McGregor, Gwyneth Paltrow, Paul Bettany & Johnny Depp In New Behind-The-Scenes Mortdecai Featurette (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 14 January 2015, 10:08 AM, PST)
- My highlight: Mapp and Lucia by Nina Stibbe (From The Guardian - TV News. 27 December 2014, 2:00 AM, PST)