PG Wodehouse's gentle unravelling of upper-class twerpery offers us refuge from our own rage. But was he a class warrior?
Blandings is coming to BBC1, and if it's half as good an adaptation as the Fry and Laurie-palooza that was Jeeves and Wooster then I may just make it through the month. PG Wodehouse has always been a balm for homesickness, heartbreak, and general crabbiness, so he can sure as hell cure January. The question I've been asking myself recently though is, can he do more than distract me from the deep feelings of disenchantment? Does the wit of Wodehouse in fact offer a solution to my rage?
Wodehouse claimed he wrote "a sort of musical comedy without music and ignoring real life altogether", and it's true that when I first read him 20 years ago I enjoyed his frothy escapism. I wanted to live in a world where sideboards »
- Morven Crumlish
Similar News ItemsKim Kardashian West
- Lady Gaga Does Yoga in a Thong, Shares the Photos (From Entertainment Tonight. 25 January 2015, 4:15 PM, PST)
- Kanye West -- I'm Not Signing that Pic ... That's Kim's Other Wedding! (From TMZ. 25 January 2015, 12:46 PM, PST)
- Kim Kardashian & Kanye West Sport All Black to Bet Honors (From TooFab. 25 January 2015, 9:20 AM, PST)
- Rainn Wilson Slams 'Office' Comparisons: Backstrom Would Shoot Dwight in the Face! (From Entertainment Tonight. 22 January 2015, 2:00 PM, PST)
- TV Review: ‘Backstrom’ (From Variety - TV News. 21 January 2015, 7:30 AM, PST)
- Stephen Fry Marries Elliott Spencer (From Entertainment Tonight. 17 January 2015, 3:12 PM, PST)
"Jeeves and Wooster" (1990)
- Watch Ewan McGregor, Gwyneth Paltrow, Paul Bettany & Johnny Depp In New Behind-The-Scenes Mortdecai Featurette (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 14 January 2015, 10:08 AM, PST)
- My highlight: Mapp and Lucia by Nina Stibbe (From The Guardian - TV News. 27 December 2014, 2:00 AM, PST)
- New Mortdecai Trailer Wanders Online (From EmpireOnline. 11 November 2014, 4:07 PM, PST)