PG Wodehouse's gentle unravelling of upper-class twerpery offers us refuge from our own rage. But was he a class warrior?
Blandings is coming to BBC1, and if it's half as good an adaptation as the Fry and Laurie-palooza that was Jeeves and Wooster then I may just make it through the month. PG Wodehouse has always been a balm for homesickness, heartbreak, and general crabbiness, so he can sure as hell cure January. The question I've been asking myself recently though is, can he do more than distract me from the deep feelings of disenchantment? Does the wit of Wodehouse in fact offer a solution to my rage?
Wodehouse claimed he wrote "a sort of musical comedy without music and ignoring real life altogether", and it's true that when I first read him 20 years ago I enjoyed his frothy escapism. I wanted to live in a world where sideboards »
- Morven Crumlish
Similar News ItemsKim Kardashian West
- See Why Kris Jenner Thinks Scott Disick Should Go to Jail (From TooFab. 7 October 2015, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Kanye West Praises Caitlyn Jenner: ''I Feel so Proud'' to Be in Her Family (From E! Online. 7 October 2015, 9:14 AM, PDT)
- Red Carpet Prankster Vitalii Sediuk Targets Miranda Kerr, Anna Wintour in Paris: See the Pictures (From Us Weekly. 7 October 2015, 5:06 AM, PDT)
- First Trailer Arrives For New HBO Drama Vinyl (From We Got This Covered. 6 October 2015, 4:39 AM, PDT)
- Disney's Tomorrowland and Diamond Edition Aladdin Blu-Rays Detailed (From Cinelinx. 2 October 2015, 5:20 PM, PDT)
- Here’s How Big Fox’s ‘Empire’ Season 2 Debut Was — Sophomore Show Premieres by the Numbers (From The Wrap. 24 September 2015, 3:18 PM, PDT)
"Jeeves and Wooster" (1990)
- The underappreciated films of Jesse Eisenberg (From Den of Geek. 27 August 2015, 8:16 AM, PDT)
- Lydia Leonard’s favourite TV: ‘I watched every episode of Neighbours in the 90s’ (From The Guardian - TV News. 27 July 2015, 4:00 AM, PDT)
- 13 British comedy stars lured to Hollywood in the 1990s (From Den of Geek. 20 April 2015, 10:52 AM, PDT)