PG Wodehouse's gentle unravelling of upper-class twerpery offers us refuge from our own rage. But was he a class warrior?
Blandings is coming to BBC1, and if it's half as good an adaptation as the Fry and Laurie-palooza that was Jeeves and Wooster then I may just make it through the month. PG Wodehouse has always been a balm for homesickness, heartbreak, and general crabbiness, so he can sure as hell cure January. The question I've been asking myself recently though is, can he do more than distract me from the deep feelings of disenchantment? Does the wit of Wodehouse in fact offer a solution to my rage?
Wodehouse claimed he wrote "a sort of musical comedy without music and ignoring real life altogether", and it's true that when I first read him 20 years ago I enjoyed his frothy escapism. I wanted to live in a world where sideboards »
- Morven Crumlish
Similar News ItemsKim Kardashian West
- Kim Kardashian and North West Are Total Beach Babes in St. Barts (From Popsugar. 29 August 2015, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Kim Kardashian Shows Bare Baby Bump as She & Kris Jenner Wear Bikinis in St. Barts—See Photos! (From E! Online. 29 August 2015, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Kim Kardashian Shows Off Crazy Pregnancy Cleavage: Instagram Photos (From Us Weekly. 29 August 2015, 2:22 AM, PDT)
- Tomorrowland Us Blu-ray details released (From Flickeringmyth. 25 August 2015, 8:00 PM, PDT)
- Blackadder: new series "on the cards" (From Den of Geek. 24 August 2015, 10:57 PM, PDT)
- A New "Blackadder" Series May Happen? (From Dark Horizons. 24 August 2015, 2:33 AM, PDT)
"Jeeves and Wooster" (1990)
- Lydia Leonard’s favourite TV: ‘I watched every episode of Neighbours in the 90s’ (From The Guardian - TV News. 27 July 2015, 4:00 AM, PDT)
- 13 British comedy stars lured to Hollywood in the 1990s (From Den of Geek. 20 April 2015, 10:52 AM, PDT)
- Watch Ewan McGregor, Gwyneth Paltrow, Paul Bettany & Johnny Depp In New Behind-The-Scenes Mortdecai Featurette (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 14 January 2015, 10:08 AM, PST)