PG Wodehouse's gentle unravelling of upper-class twerpery offers us refuge from our own rage. But was he a class warrior?
Blandings is coming to BBC1, and if it's half as good an adaptation as the Fry and Laurie-palooza that was Jeeves and Wooster then I may just make it through the month. PG Wodehouse has always been a balm for homesickness, heartbreak, and general crabbiness, so he can sure as hell cure January. The question I've been asking myself recently though is, can he do more than distract me from the deep feelings of disenchantment? Does the wit of Wodehouse in fact offer a solution to my rage?
Wodehouse claimed he wrote "a sort of musical comedy without music and ignoring real life altogether", and it's true that when I first read him 20 years ago I enjoyed his frothy escapism. I wanted to live in a world where sideboards »
- Morven Crumlish
Similar News ItemsKim Kardashian West
- The Voice Season 7 Premiere Recap: Do You Si What They Si? [Updated] (From TVLine.com. 22 September 2014, 7:23 PM, PDT)
- The Fappening 2.0 - New Nude Photos, Celebrities Furious About Leaked Pics, Jessica Chastain Included (From National Ledger. 22 September 2014, 5:55 PM, PDT)
- New Kim Kardashian Nude Pics Revealed By Evil Serial Hacker,New Details (From OnTheFlix. 22 September 2014, 1:41 PM, PDT)
- Friends' greatest ever episode revealed in 20th anniversary poll (From Digital Spy - TV news. 22 September 2014, 2:45 AM, PDT)
- Emma Thompson On Her Writing Process: A Yoga Mat, A Hoover, & Lots Of Crying (From Deadline New York. 20 September 2014, 4:26 PM, PDT)
- Best And Worst: Actors-turned-musicians and musicians-turned-actors (From Hitfix. 10 September 2014, 9:11 AM, PDT)
"Jeeves and Wooster" (1990)
- The Trailer For Johnny Depp's Mortdecai Romps In (From EmpireOnline. 11 August 2014, 6:26 PM, PDT)
- 5 Reasons Fry And Laurie Should Reunite (From Obsessed with Film. 4 August 2014, 4:23 AM, PDT)
- Staunton, Highmore join Canterville Ghost (From ScreenDaily. 9 May 2014, 3:42 AM, PDT)