Pasadena, Calif. — There's no second act for celebrities on "Dancing With the Stars."
ABC Entertainment President Paul Lee said Thursday that was the lesson from the past few months, when the network brought back some favorite contestants from its long-running competition series and the show fell flat.
"It turns out people like to see bad dancing as much as they like to see good dancing," Lee said.
Melissa Rycroft, a former contestant on "The Bachelor," beat two former winners – Olympian Shawn Johnson and actress Kelly Monaco – to win the show's first all-star edition. Nielsen said its viewership of 14.8 million on Mondays last fall was down 21 percent from the year before. Even worse for ABC, viewership among the younger 18- to 49-year-old demographic was off 31 percent.
Lee said it is clear the show's fans enjoy the journey of celebrities learning how to dance. This spring's edition features first-time competitors.
The average »
Similar News Items"Dancing with the Stars" (2005/I)
- ABC 2014-15 Season Ratings (updated 1/30/15) (From TVSeriesFinale. 30 January 2015, 1:34 PM, PST)
- 6 Male Stars Who Lost a Shocking Amount of Weight (From Entertainment Tonight. 28 January 2015, 2:30 PM, PST)
- 2014-15 TV Show Season Ratings (week 18) (From TVSeriesFinale. 27 January 2015, 4:22 PM, PST)
"Good Morning America" (1975)
- Will Reeve on Getting the Call from Espn: I Thought 'Wow, This is Big' (From PEOPLE.com. 30 January 2015, 1:15 PM, PST)
- Super Bowl: From NBC To NFL, Who’s Under Most Pressure on Game Day? (From Variety - TV News. 30 January 2015, 10:09 AM, PST)
- Morning-News Scramble: CNN Uses Ad to Hurl Spitball at ‘Morning Joe’ (From Variety - TV News. 29 January 2015, 11:58 AM, PST)
"The Bachelor" (2002)
- The Bachelor's Juelia Kinney on Chris Soules's Kissing Habit: 'It's Not a Bad Thing!' (From PEOPLE.com. 29 January 2015, 4:30 PM, PST)
- 'The Bachelor' Week 5 Photos: A Hot Air Balloon Date (From BuddyTV. 29 January 2015, 12:45 PM, PST)
- This Bachelor Contestant Admits She "Didn't Feel a Romantic Connection" With Chris Soules! (From E! Online. 29 January 2015, 11:00 AM, PST)