Pasadena, Calif. — There's no second act for celebrities on "Dancing With the Stars."
ABC Entertainment President Paul Lee said Thursday that was the lesson from the past few months, when the network brought back some favorite contestants from its long-running competition series and the show fell flat.
"It turns out people like to see bad dancing as much as they like to see good dancing," Lee said.
Melissa Rycroft, a former contestant on "The Bachelor," beat two former winners – Olympian Shawn Johnson and actress Kelly Monaco – to win the show's first all-star edition. Nielsen said its viewership of 14.8 million on Mondays last fall was down 21 percent from the year before. Even worse for ABC, viewership among the younger 18- to 49-year-old demographic was off 31 percent.
Lee said it is clear the show's fans enjoy the journey of celebrities learning how to dance. This spring's edition features first-time competitors.
The average »
Similar News Items"Dancing with the Stars" (2005/I)
- ABC 2013-14 Season Ratings [updated 7/11/14] (From TVSeriesFinale. 11 July 2014, 2:03 PM, PDT)
- Cheryl Burke Slams Plastic Surgery Rumors (From Access Hollywood. 11 July 2014, 12:14 PM, PDT)
- 'DWTS' Star Cheryl Burke -- I'm Not Dying (From TMZ. 11 July 2014, 12:40 AM, PDT)
"Good Morning America" (1975)
- Keith Urban Kicks Off New Tour at Good Morning America (watch!) (From TheImproper.com. 11 July 2014, 11:10 AM, PDT)
- World Cup: U.S. Captain Clint Dempsey Weighs in On Final Game (Video) (From The Hollywood Reporter. 10 July 2014, 11:47 AM, PDT)
- Justin Theroux Is "Loving" Engagement to Jennifer Aniston Two Years After Proposal, Talks Birthday Plans With Bride-to-Be (From Us Weekly. 10 July 2014, 7:10 AM, PDT)
"The Bachelor" (2002)
- Bachelorette Season 10, Week 8 Recap: Eric Hill's Death Overshadows Andi's Hometown Dates (From Us Weekly. 8 July 2014, 2:34 AM, PDT)
- Ashley Hebert Flaunts Big Baby Bump at 25 Weeks -- See the Cute Selfie! (From TooFab. 3 July 2014, 2:30 PM, PDT)
- Andi Dorfman's Bachelorette Blog: Being Sneaky vs. Being a Gentleman (From PEOPLE.com. 1 July 2014, 7:10 AM, PDT)