When people refer to "Zero Dark Thirty" director Kathryn Bigelow as a "female director," it seems a little weird for 2013, doesn't it? Do you know any dudes named Kathryn? Does anyone refer to Bruce Willis as a "male actor?" Our good pal and male writer Max Evry touched on this topic more in-depth and without mediocre jokes in a must-read over at our female sister site.
Presumably when said people say this, of course, it's with the implication that the female director is a rare breed, the behind-the-camera equivalent of a culturally-significant "Madea" film. What these well-meaning folks don't realize is that some of their favorite movies were directed by the ladies. Really! In fact, here are ten.
1. 'Point Break' (1991)
We start things off with aforementioned female director Bigelow's classic, which wins the "Most Re-Watchable Cable Movie" award in a runaway over male director Rob Reiner's "A Few Good Men. »
- Nick Blake
Similar News Items"Saturday Night Live" (1975)
- Review: Don't Think Twice (From FilmExperience. 23 July 2016, 9:30 AM, PDT)
- Star Wars Celebration 2016 – A Fan’s Verdict (From Flickeringmyth. 23 July 2016, 3:30 AM, PDT)
- #SDCC16: SNL’s Cecily Strong Joins Scream Queens as it Jumps Ahead 3 Years (From Dread Central. 23 July 2016, 1:06 AM, PDT)
- Britney Spears Sends Her Thanks After Getting Some Unexpected Love at the Rnc (From PEOPLE.com. 21 July 2016, 1:25 PM, PDT)
- Celine Dion -- I'd Work with J Lo and Britney, But ... (Video) (From TMZ. 21 July 2016, 1:02 PM, PDT)
- Nathaniel Rateliff Rides Song 'S.O.B.' into Long-Deserved Success (From PEOPLE.com. 21 July 2016, 8:55 AM, PDT)
- Can Luc Besson’s ‘Valerian’ Succeed Where Recent Space Operas Have Failed? (From Variety - Film News. 22 July 2016, 6:27 AM, PDT)
- Denise Richards: examining her recent straight-to-dvd movies (From Den of Geek. 17 July 2016, 3:10 PM, PDT)
- Precious Cargo – nonsensical thriller (From The Guardian - Film News. 17 July 2016, 12:00 AM, PDT)