"Who are those guys?"
George Roy Hill doesn't get written up much these days. People either like some of his films or not, but don't usually have much to say about them. In the breadth of subjects and tones he tackled, the former TV director certainly made it hard to perceive an authorial voice, and even his visual style was inconsistent, veering between the flatly televisual and a more nouvelle vague playfulness. Regular collaborator William Goldman praised him as one of the greats precisely because of his versatility, but he seems destined to be recalled for only a couple of movies, and as an able journeyman rather than as a unique artist.
The World of Henry Orient (1964) is a charming oddity. It deals with a fantasy world concocted by two 14-year-old schoolgirls in New York, based around a minor local celebrity, concert pianist Henry Orient (Peter Sellers), whom they encounter »
- David Cairns
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- ‘Hobbit’ Rules While Chinese, Indian And French Films Make Noise: Intl Bo Update (From Deadline New York. 21 December 2014, 5:20 PM, PST)
- Obsessed with Pop Culture: Best of the Week (From SoundOnSight. 21 December 2014, 1:57 PM, PST)
- 'Hobbit' Emerges Victorious in Final Box Office 'Battle' (From BoxOfficeMojo.com. 21 December 2014, 1:23 PM, PST)
- British Man Claims to Have Spent $150K+ to Look Like Kim Kardashian (From PEOPLE.com. 18 December 2014, 12:40 PM, PST)
- 15-Year-Old Claire Danes On Getting Famous: 'I Just Want to Be a Sane Person' (From Entertainment Tonight. 17 December 2014, 1:08 PM, PST)
- The 35 Greatest Murder Mystery Movies Ever Made (From Moviefone. 28 November 2014, 7:00 AM, PST)
Peter Sellers (I)
- Interviews: Grace McPhillips, Steve Scholz on Chicago Acting in Film Meetup’s ‘Holiday Hurrah’ (From HollywoodChicago.com. 7 December 2014, 6:54 AM, PST)
- ‘Stanley Kubrick: The Masterpiece Collection’ Captures Kubrick at His Most Kubrick (From FilmSchoolRejects. 5 December 2014, 7:00 AM, PST)
- Streamfix: 5 to Watch on the 25th Anniversary Of the Cold War’s End (From Hitfix. 3 December 2014, 2:30 PM, PST)