Only a few movies will win Oscar gold, but for digital pirates, the high-quality DVDs called "screeners" -- sent to more than 6,000 Academy members each year -- are the real treasure. Released far before consumer DVDs, these studio-polished video recordings are infinitely more reliable than the stock that so often finds its way to pirate sites -- in-theater camcorder recordings and shaky takes of movies ripped from hotel pay-per-view.
Oscar contenders "Django Unchained," "Anna Karenina," and "Hyde Park On Hudson" were just three of six screeners leaked to piracy websites last week, according to TorrentFreak. Earlier this month pirates were treated to screeners of "The Hobbit," "Zero Dark Thirty" and "Hitchcock."
The slice of the world that uses, say, the Pirate Bay to watch videos isn't a microcosm of the whole movie-watching world -- so the most watched pirated films are a bit surprising. Check out our gallery of top screeners below. »
- The Huffington Post
Similar News ItemsDjango Unchained (2012)
- The Final Superman: Man of Steel Trailer Hits (From ShockYa. 23 May 2013, 4:03 AM, PDT)
- Global Village: Spaniards Salivate Over Food Shows; France Debates Mobile Tax, More (From Variety - Film News. 22 May 2013, 3:00 PM, PDT)
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt only cares about his body, pad, ride, family, church, boys, girls, and porn in the trailer for Don Jon (From JoBlo. 22 May 2013, 8:59 AM, PDT)
Zero Dark Thirty (2012)
- Jessica Chastain Is Pretty In Purple At Cannes Film Festival (From HollywoodLife. 22 May 2013, 2:12 PM, PDT)
- Scarlett Johansson And Chris Pratt Join Spike Jonze's 'Her' (From NextMovie. 22 May 2013, 11:00 AM, PDT)
- Blu-ray Review: Jessica Chastain Stars in Effective ‘Mama’ (From HollywoodChicago.com. 22 May 2013, 8:29 AM, PDT)
Anna Karenina (2012/I)
- Costume in The Great Gatsby: Use Your Imagination (From Clothes on Film. 22 May 2013, 10:46 PM, PDT)
- Second Teaser Promo for BBC America's In the Flesh (From Dread Central. 22 May 2013, 10:25 AM, PDT)
- First Teaser Promo for BBC America's In the Flesh (From Dread Central. 17 May 2013, 11:58 AM, PDT)